A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dirty Dorset: First Fleece to Yarn Project!  (Read 1398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexus1325
« on: February 05, 2013 09:28:34 PM »

I scored some super-cheap Dorset fleece on eBay being advertised for stuffing and crafts. SOOOOOOO dirty when I opened it up Sad Way dirtier than the one ounce sample photo implied (I bought 40 ounces, it was THAT cheap).

Plenty of VM, yellow staining, and POO. Oh yes, there was quite a bit of poo.

So I threw a bunch in the sink, picked out the worst yucky bits and washed it as best I could.

Then I used my new toys, also purchased for waaaay cheap on eBay, to make fluffy awesome rolags. Took a while to get the hang of these bad boys.

And for some reason I didn't take a single progress pic! I was just so excited to hop to! It took four day to whip up 61 yards (69 before washing/setting) of worsted-bulky Andean-plied two-ply.

It's very "primitive" with lots of slubs from second cuts, but I'm really proud of all the work that went into it, and I even kinda figured out long-draw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

papilionette
Chaotic Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013 09:48:36 PM »

Wow! That is so cool how it turned out. I love those kind of yarns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013 03:11:09 AM »

YAY! Wasn't it rewarding feeling? I love the second cuts in there. I'm so excited for you. Would you do it again, fleece to yarn?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013 03:12:12 AM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013 05:03:31 AM »

I love the handspun, and the more handspun looking, the better imho.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013 05:05:45 AM »

It's such a hugely rewarding process to go from dirty flufff to yarn!  sorry you got a crappy fleece (haha.. so punny Roll Eyes ) But seriously.  that`s never fun. I`ve had to deal with stuff like that, and it`s terrible.  Great work going from fleece to yarn.  and if you aren`t to happy with second cuts, you just have to pick them out before carding.  way easier then when in rolag form.... took me far longer then  I like to admit to figure that out.  Oh, and cutting off some yellowing will give you a shorter staple, but give you a nicer end prodict.  this was something I was afraid to do, but once I did it, I was so much happier with my end result.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013 05:48:28 AM »

Great job! What are you plans with the yarn?

It is great that you have a before & after photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Rodelphia
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013 06:03:45 AM »

wow! great work! I'm going through the same thing with a couple alpaca fleeces I aquired, its really encouraging to see someone go through it with such a nice looking end product. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013 08:16:02 AM »

Thanks for all the kind words! Yes, it feels so good to know that I now have the skills to take fluff and make yarn!

I'm with MrsFlibble, I like handspun yarns that look handspun, which is why I have a serious weakness for bulky commercial singles Tongue

I only spun up about half of what I washed, so I think I'll spin up the other half as similar as possible (LOL, still so noob, so we'll see how that works out!) and maybe make a cabled fisherman's hat for my FIL. There's still a bit of lanolin in it, and if I remember rightly, fisherman's gear is supposed to be spun in the grease?

Gonna try to get my hands on some lingerie bags to wash the rest in the washing machine. I've got maybe another 35 ounces to go.

Note to self: borrow MIL's kitchen scale...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013 12:17:12 PM »

Using a scale has been invaluable to me when spinning

I love your yarn!  It will look great as a hat or mittens.

The first pic ... is that yours or from the listing?  Besides the yellowing, it looks pretty clean.  I don't mind yellowing now as much as I did when I started spinning.  It can give the finished yarn a natural heathered look.

Dorset is a wonderful fiber for socks.  It wears so well and doesn't felt very easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Alexus1325
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013 08:22:30 AM »

The first pic ... is that yours or from the listing?  Besides the yellowing, it looks pretty clean.

That's a pic of one 20 oz bag in my kitchen, and I totally agree that compared to pix of raw fleeces I've seen, it's sparkling! I was just taken in by a really nice sample photo on the eBay listing. I guess they picked out a handful of the nicest fluff to photograph. Even with the work of hand-washing, it was still a great price per weight.

Dorset is a wonderful fiber for socks.  It wears so well and doesn't felt very easily.

I noticed it puffed more than fulled when I whacked the crap out of it. And the crimp is so nice! It's really fluffy compared to the commercial top I got with my spindle. Now I just need to get a good lightweight spindle and work my way towards fingering weight yarns Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Motion 3: Learning the Interface
Final Cut Pro 6: C.O.P.S Face Blur Effect
Final Cut Pro 6: Using an Asymmetrical Edit
Final Cut Studio: Sync Menu Explained
Final Cut Express: Playing with Speed
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...