A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
732 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Got a dress form, how do I use it?  (Read 593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tearE
« on: February 06, 2013 08:32:38 PM »

So , I made a duct tape dress form and I'm so impatient to use it, but I don't know how! I have started so many dresses and only finished one. I would cut out the pattern pieces and try them on, then take them off and make adjustments, try it on again, etc and eventually I got frustrat ed and quit. Now I have this lovely copy of my body to work with and don't know how to start. Should I cut a muslin using the pattern and tuck and pin until it fits? Do you know where I could get info, a website or book or whatever? Or just tell me your own experiences with dress forms, wether they were successful or not; they'll be helpful. Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

>>>>>>>>Swap some fabric with me! <<<<<<<<

Happiness comes from the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. (fortune cookie)
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013 05:04:12 PM »

I always make a muslin when making a new pattern, or adjusting a pattern I've already used.  I use my dressform to drape on to make a muslin.  Sometimes I use it to pre-fit a garment, but I always try the muslin on myself, because the form is not exactly my shape.  Even a duct tape dummy made on yourself will have become distorted and not be exactly like you, so you should always try the muslin on yourself as well as on the dummy, in my opinion.

When draping a muslin I usually just use half the dummy, if the garment is symmetrical. Then I use that half to generate a pattern from which I cut a test garment (both halves).

I might make more than one muslin to get the pattern to where I like it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Iorisdis
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013 03:36:52 AM »

You could also use the dress form to drape and design upcycled garments- only creativity is your limit; undo 1-2 seams of an old garment, turn it around, 90 - 180 degrees and go crazy with your pins. Stitch it loosely and try it on yourself during the process, but it can really amaze you the results you get from doing it directly on a dress form  Grin
Example:
I started with a jeans shirt, took apart the side seam, turned it 90 degrees and fastened it to the dress form. From that point onward it suddenly turned into a peplum top Smiley
Good luck, it is often the start of the project that is hard Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

best wishes from Norway Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About the Body Worlds Exposition
Glazing Your Pottery
Firing Your Pottery
Making the Handle for a Clay Mug
Trimming the Clay Cylinder
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...