A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: spray basting. which one to use  (Read 1533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

carolmb
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

50 Projects 2014 List total 9/24

Making things, makes life happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 05, 2013 03:57:49 AM »

I am working on my third quilt, and I have been doing a bit of research on the advantages and disadvantages of using a spray for the basting.

My question to the wonderful quilters on here is this, okay questions.

what type do you use? Is it really that much easier to use? What are some of the problems you have come across.

It would seem a lot easier to me then pinning. I have carpet and working on a big quilt on the floor, I get lots of carpet in the pins, which are a nightmare working out of the pins.

smaller projects no problem I use the kitchen table.

The spray I have found most often talked about is 505. Is there a lot of difference between brands or will any temp type fabric spray work?

Thanks for your time in replying

well and wonderment
carol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013 07:16:54 AM »

sorry i cant offer any help. i have never used it.  

i have heard" nightmares about clogging up needles,  not washing out completely or discolouring fabrics.

this may sound odd. but is there a school gym or community centre or somewhere with hard floors you can steal a few square metres of space for a bit. (i have done this in the past...nothing gets people talking at the arena like a quilter pinning a quilt.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
carolmb

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013 09:25:16 AM »

That is not a bad idea.  We have a few center's here that might work. Something to look into.
Thanks sloth

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013 10:30:55 AM »

I only spray baste, if I can help it! I just buy the kind I can get locally (Taylor brand, in the blue bottle). I've also heard good things about 505 brand but never tried it. I've never had any problems with clogging or discoloring, you have to follow the directions which include shaking it for a long time and using the proper amount.

My best tip--Spray in quarters. To do this, lay your batting on your backing so it's where you want it. Then fold it back halfway. Spray from the halfway mark up to a quarter from the top, evenly across the width. Then fold the batting up and smooth out from the middle. Then do the last quarter the same way. Turn around and do the other half of the quilt this way, then the same thing for attaching the  quilt top to the batting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Sera unravled
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013 03:07:34 PM »

There are some brands ( not sure wich ones) that you can only use 100% cotton with( fabric and batting) and if you don't, when you wash it out it bunches up the quilt. I have June taylor spray baste, and it works well. I never washed the two quilts I've used it on though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carolmb

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013 01:59:34 AM »

thanks MareMare: I am going to try the 505 on a pillow cover first before I do so on a quilt. Its one of the pinwheel blocks from the last swap. See how well it works for me.

I couldn't find the taylor one here local, I did find the 505 and one by heat and bond. Which I would find nothing online to refer it too (the one by heat and bond)

I have read all the instructions on them both. 

Sera unravled: Yes that seemed to be one of the major complains was people not reading the warning on some of the sprays about cottons or poly and totally messing up their quilts. So I have read what can be used on what.

Figured if I make the pillow cover and then use it on that to see how it handles in my sewing machine and how it handles in the wash. I will know a little better before I use it on the quilt.

Also my daughter brought up a good point what if I have a reaction to the stuff, allergies gotta love them LOL

so this will tell me if I am going to react to any of the chems. in the spray as I am working with it.

well and wonderment
carol

THIS ROCKS   Logged

carolmb

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013 01:23:41 AM »

I used it yesterday to hold the block, batting and back together for the pillow I used to trey free motion quilting.

It was okay. held wonderfully, didn't glue up my needle. Didn't bother me as far as smell or reaction to anything in it.

So the 505 spray worked well. I did have some problems when smoothing the batting on the back, but I think that was more me not knowing what the heck I was doing. LOL I got it smooth finally and all went well.

As to using it on the big quilt. I am still not sure. Perhaps a bit and some pins. For I am not sure how long the bond will hold and if moving the project around as much as I would have to in order to get it all quilting would cause shifting.

Thanks to each of you for taking the time to ask my question and give me your insight.

well and wonderment
carol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013 03:11:09 PM »

I also use spray adhesive. Usually the kind made for fabrics is considered safest, but meh. I've always liked krylon but the others are okay too. Don't use repositionable spray as that doesn't hold well. In my experience 505 is more expensive but not any better than krylon.

However, you need a smooth surface to spray baste (at least the way that works the best for me). I lay the backing out and tape it to the floor so it is tight and then add the adhesive-batting-adhesive-top, unfolding the other two layers so they are centred on the backing. That way you don't have wrinkles and you can true the top with the backing. You do need to lay newspaper or similar down on the floor beside the backing to keep the adhesive from covering the floor. And it requires a deft hand--even the best adhesive can be applied too liberally or too lightly. It takes some experience to get just the right amount to hold the quilt together well without causing gumming, clogging or stiffness. I also always wash the quilt after I am finished in hot water with synthrapol, which will take most of the adhesive out nicely.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013 03:12:25 PM by cmoore » THIS ROCKS   Logged
carolmb

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013 01:59:15 AM »

cmoore: thanks I have yet to tackle the quilt. I am hoping one evening this week to get it basted.

One of the ladies from the local quilting bee has suggested I pin it down the center before I spray it. That way I would keep it straight as I am going.
I will post how it all goes I am sure

well and wonderment
carol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carolmb

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013 12:51:00 AM »

Well I finished the quilt

I only had a few issues with using the spray and I am thinking those were me more then the spray.

The back did not come out was tight and without tucks like it would of had I pinned it.

So I figured I did not spray it was evenly as I thought I had. Or that it did not hold in places.

All in all I learned how to used it and it is a choice.

I did used pins down the center to hold it even, and through out for I was fearful of it giving as I was working on it.

I was comfortable using it, and it did what it said it would. As for why it did not hold in some places and why it did hold as tightly. Like stated more then likely me and not the spray.

well and wonderment
carol

Ya can see the quilt here if you would like

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=420779.msg4987740#msg4987740
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Flame Princess from Adventure Time
How to Draw Mr. Bean from the Animated Series
Merging HDR Photos in a New Way
Roundtrip Editing with Adobe Photoshop
How to Sora of Kingdom Hearts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...