A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,221
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Paper Tutorial - Great for Journals, ATCs etc  (Read 4000 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , fabric_paper , featured_project , category_featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PurpleHeather
« on: February 04, 2013 05:25:46 AM »

Hi All, I've recently got into making fabric paper, which is great for covering books, mixed media art, ATC backgrounds etc, so I thought I'd share my friend Margaret's method here:

Fabric paper by Purple Heather, on Flickr

As the name suggests, fabric paper is a big sheet of paper, pasted with glue and then covered with lots of textured paper and other materials. As we're primarily embroiderers, lots of the stuff we put on is textiles related, but you could add all sorts of papers, as long as they will glue down. It's quite an easy, fun make, though it does have quite a lot of drying time.

If you want to make some, you'll need:

• A piece of cotton/muslin (not too loose a weave), whatever size suits your project/work area. We used a piece about A3 size (like two sheets of letter paper side by side, approximately)
  • PVA/Craft glue, in a big jar/pot, diluted 1/3 glue to 2/3 water
  • An old brush suitable for gluing & brushes for acrylic paint
  • Lots of interesting textured things to paste on to your paper, e.g.:
    • Plasterers' scrim - it's a plastickey mesh that is (slightly) adhesive on the back, and is sold on a roll - I guess it would come from Home Depot or another hardware store
    • scraps of lace, scrim fabric, muslin, gauze, etc
    • Melted kunin felt or dollar store duster, when you heat it with a heat tool then it melts and goes holey in places
    • scraps of shiny metallic fabrics or papers
    • Crumpled brown paper
    • Magazine clippings, especially on shiny paper to let a bit of the print show through
    • Tissue paper, either plain scrumpled tissue, or textured kitchen roll
    • All this is optional, anything with texture that can be glued on is worth a try!
  • Acrylic paints, we used the absolutely cheap ones from a high street clearance bookstore, if you have the equivalent, like $1/tube acrylics, those are fine!
  • Paint palette/old plate, one with a flat area on it
  • Metallic stuff, e.g. metallic acrylic paint, markal paintstiks (shiva oilbars) (optional, but adds pizazz!)
  • Sewing machine, threaded with a bold colour, e.g. red or metallic (optional, but adds pizazz!)

Lay a plastic sheet on your work table, shut out the baby, cat, etc, and put some tunes on, this is a messy job! Get your big sheet of cotton/muslin and paste it all over with the PVA glue (Craft glue) & water mix, then paste on your pieces of chopped up scraps of things, still with a gluey brush. If you go to here, I've added notes to highlight a few of the things we pasted on.

I would go to town sticking things on, some stuff won't stick, some will, so you can always peel off the bits that haven't stuck later. Another tip if something won't stick is to lay a thin layer of tissue over it and paste it down well. Leave the gluey mess to dry - it'll look horrid!

Once your piece has dried, get some acrylic paints and apply a couple of colours to your palette (or old plate) thinking about good combinations for colour mixing, and drag your brush through them, then paint over the piece, aiming for good colour mixing, a wet brush might help. Cover the sheet in acrylic paints, but be careful not to go too thick, so as to keep the texture of the underlying materials.

Again, I would let the piece dry, and then dry brush on some metallic paint, either gold acrylic, or some markal paintstik/shiva oilbar. Run this thinly over the raised areas, to highlight them and add glitz. Let it dry.

The last step is optional, but you can add some interest if you have a sewing machine threaded with either a bold thread colour, like red, or a metallic. Stitch into your piece, either in straight lines, zigzag stitch, or any of the automatic patterns, like a satin stitch. Take it easy and just meander over the fabric paper. You can use the stitching to tack down any elements that might not have stuck.

You can use the finished piece of fabric, which is quite sturdy, to cover books, as a base for ATCs, etc, to back pictures before you mount them, anything. It's great fun, I'd love to see what you do with it!

*Mods - I've tried to pick the right place to put this, as I felt it was most applicable to the Arty end of the Craftster scale, but feel free to move it if I've aimed wrongly! Ta!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FoxyBlue
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013 06:10:54 AM »

Simply beautiful! Thank you for sharing Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013 06:14:41 AM »

What an amazing end product! Thank yo for sharing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

P_E_S_T

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013 08:24:53 AM »

this is gorgeous !!! I can feel an afternoon project with the children coming on ! (we like it messy !)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013 09:19:36 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial! This looks like fun Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013 12:01:48 PM »

Paper fabric is so much fun to make and use!  Thank you for sharing your tutorial Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion opening in mid September!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
PurpleHeather
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013 11:53:01 PM »

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

P_E_S_T - would love to see what you do, great idea to try it with the kids...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wdicwg

Remember that life is beautiful!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013 06:46:40 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial, the finished look is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is a drug I cannot live without." ~Cecil B. DeMille

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~Robert Brault

http://pinterest.com/swaffe08/
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013 09:10:25 AM »

I've never heard of this technique, but the results are stunning.  Thanks for sharing how you make this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
katara
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013 12:34:12 AM »

Very interesting and a great way to use up little bits of scrap fabric and paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Styling Curly Hair: From Wet to Set
Getting Salon Style Extensions At Home
2013 Summer Hair Trend: Medium Length Cuts
How to Style 1920s Short Hair
Hair Care Tips for Aging and Thinning Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...