A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spray paint question  (Read 731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftinghijabi
« on: February 03, 2013 08:06:32 PM »

Hi!! I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a wooden high chair I'm spray painting with a gloss color. I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to sand between each coat? Will it be fine if I don't?

2. Is there a way to fix it if a small speck of something or a tiny bug gets on the wet spray paint, or if I make a tiny smudge? How do you keep from stuff sticking to your work if you are spraying outside??

3. I originally chose a yellow gloss. I did just the tray today (sand, prime, paint). I don't like the yellow and want to do red, what I originally wanted. Can I just sand the yellow and spray over it?

Thanks so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paisleyhansen
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013 02:46:16 PM »

Hi!! I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a wooden high chair I'm spray painting with a gloss color. I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to sand between each coat? Will it be fine if I don't?

2. Is there a way to fix it if a small speck of something or a tiny bug gets on the wet spray paint, or if I make a tiny smudge? How do you keep from stuff sticking to your work if you are spraying outside??

3. I originally chose a yellow gloss. I did just the tray today (sand, prime, paint). I don't like the yellow and want to do red, what I originally wanted. Can I just sand the yellow and spray over it?

Thanks so much!!

I spray painted a crib last summer. I only did one sand to begin with. And then I just coated it with paint, then did a gloss finish. I think you'd be just fine to paint over the yellow! As for the getting stuff on it while outside, I can't help you there, a dandelion blew right on it and I had to sand that part and start over! Good luck, post pics when it's complete! Wink
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013 03:08:10 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a freelance writer/blogger who loves to write about all things heath/beauty/fashion. When I'm not writing I can usually be found reading a good book Smiley
Marienka
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013 02:45:28 PM »

I am an avid spray painter. I spray paint EVERYTHING! I only do this because I have found THE best spray paint.

I only use Krylon Paint+Primer. Its the one with the twisty cap. It works on everything. I had enormous suitcase that was a bright yucky orange and lime green. I bought three cans thinking that I would need to go back for more. With one can I spray painted the entire huge suitcase, my surround sound speakers and three embroidery hoops.

I would only recommend that spray paint. It would cover over your yellow no problem.

I don't usually sand unless it is a high gloss orginally underneath. I never sand between coats. High gloss really doesn't hold paint well. I REALLY hate sanding so what I do is use this product called Klean-Strip Degloss and Sander. It costs $7 and goes really far. It goes on like Modge Podge. That is out of sheer laziness though.

If I get something in it when I am painting. I use a small foam brush to pull it out. I brush the paint as even as I can (sometimes it comes off) and then spray over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for U.S.A swap partners!
robylwood
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013 01:25:23 PM »

I spray paint chairs before I do the detail acrylic painting on them.  I do use a high gloss which I love but hate when it puddles.  I will have to sand if I get heavy handed with the spray paint and get a puddle or drip.   If I don't like the color, I just go over it with another but I do agree with the primer all in one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013 12:11:08 AM »

Ah bugs!!!
I solved this problem! I went to walmart and bought a big ole rubbermaid tub. I spray paint my project then drop the tub over the top. I drilled holes in it, so theres airflow. It may take a bit longer to dry but theres never a bug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style in the Wild: Interview with Entrepreneur Brenda Braxton
Tips For Coloring Hair and Whitening Teeth
How to Do Lana Del Rey Makeup
The Easy Ombre Manicure You Can Do at Home
Cat Ear Headband For Halloween - Do It, Gurl
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...