A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing for Boys: Raw Edged Raglan Tee  (Read 875 times)
Tags for this thread: fat_quarter , raglan , shirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donniesgirl
« on: February 03, 2013 06:59:22 PM »

I hope this falls under the category of "patterns," even though it is a book.  However, the book comes with 24 patterns with actual pattern pages, so I figure it does.  Many of the reviews I saw on Amazon were for people just excited that there was a boys sewing book (totally get that) but it seemed like they hadn't actually tried the patterns.  Anyway, this review is for the raw edged raglan tee pattern and I would consider my clothing making abilities more on the advanced side.

The raglan tee in a size 4/5, on my son who normally wears a size 3 in shirts.

Because I did see a couple of reviews on Amazon mentioning fit, I bought a really cheap burnout knit to make my first edition of the raw edged raglan and try to make sure I had the correct size for my son.  First and foremost I learned that I hate sewing with burnout knit - it is awful!!!  But it was also $2/yard, so it served its purpose.  My son typically wears a size 3 in most t-shirts and he is long waisted, so I tried the size 2/3 in the book and added about an inch in length.  The book mentions that it is a "fitted" shirt and they aren't kidding!  Actually, the torso part fit ok (considering it was fitted) but the sleeves were like sausage casings & my little guy is not chunky.  I also had a difficult time getting the neck piece to lay correctly and ended up with some bunching, but I chalked that up to being the crappy burnout knit fabric.  In terms of assembly, the shirt went together fine, but I decided there were some things I would do differently on round 2.  

So on round 2, I made a size 4/5, adding a bit over an inch to the bottom and a little less than that to the bottom of the sleeves.  The additional length was because the authors tell you not to hem knit fabrics - I'm not kidding.  I guess I'm ok with that if it is presented as an option but no, that was just it.  The phrase was something to the effect of "why waste time hemming a knit?"  Well, I get being eager to finish but I think a hem makes it look more polished so I added a little fabric.  Second, I added 3/4 of an inch or so to each side of the sleeve pieces so that my son has room to move his arms.  I might even do a little more if I make it again.  My other changes were in terms of construction.  I decided I wasn't into the aesthetic of the raw edge, so I sewed it right sides together to make a standard raglan.  On the side seams, I decided to go with a French seam.  And on the neck, I decided to put it in the way I know how, which is like a ribbed knit and I still had issues with fitting the neck in correctly!  More bunching & wierdness.  I think the neck piece is correctly sized but that when the sleeve, front, and back fit together at the top, it creates too big a hole. ETA - I went back & fixed the neck by removing the seams on about 4" of the neck/front/back joins, and sewed them  so that I ended up with a smaller neck hole.  Then I put the same neck piece back in & it seems to have worked.  Third time was the charm.

The neck (pre fix):

Frankly, with this many adjustments, I am considering trying an Ottobre raglan tee pattern I have instead of making this one again.  The instructions themselves were easy to follow on this pattern - my annoyance was more with fit and the neck assembly.  

Tip if you do try this pattern
: A size 4/5 or under, you can fit the front and back torso pieces (barely) onto a fat quarter of Spoonflower knits.  Spoonflower has some cute and different stuff but it is very expensive, so that was a nice option to me.  That said, Spoonflower's knit base is a cream color, so don't pick anything where you would expect a white.  And their color saturation is poor, so I would probably stick to lighter colors.

Updated - pic of short sleeve raglan

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013 11:59:02 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013 07:40:04 AM »

Thanks for the review on the pattern. It can be so difficult finding any pattern for guys so I too can see where so many reviewers did not sew before reviewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Quilts You Can Make for Kids
Quilts You Can Make
Quilting: Basic Supplies You Will Need
Glass Blowing: How to Reheat
The History of Glass Blowing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...