A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing for Boys: Raw Edged Raglan Tee  (Read 850 times)
Tags for this thread: fat_quarter , raglan , shirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donniesgirl
« on: February 03, 2013 06:59:22 PM »

I hope this falls under the category of "patterns," even though it is a book.  However, the book comes with 24 patterns with actual pattern pages, so I figure it does.  Many of the reviews I saw on Amazon were for people just excited that there was a boys sewing book (totally get that) but it seemed like they hadn't actually tried the patterns.  Anyway, this review is for the raw edged raglan tee pattern and I would consider my clothing making abilities more on the advanced side.

The raglan tee in a size 4/5, on my son who normally wears a size 3 in shirts.

Because I did see a couple of reviews on Amazon mentioning fit, I bought a really cheap burnout knit to make my first edition of the raw edged raglan and try to make sure I had the correct size for my son.  First and foremost I learned that I hate sewing with burnout knit - it is awful!!!  But it was also $2/yard, so it served its purpose.  My son typically wears a size 3 in most t-shirts and he is long waisted, so I tried the size 2/3 in the book and added about an inch in length.  The book mentions that it is a "fitted" shirt and they aren't kidding!  Actually, the torso part fit ok (considering it was fitted) but the sleeves were like sausage casings & my little guy is not chunky.  I also had a difficult time getting the neck piece to lay correctly and ended up with some bunching, but I chalked that up to being the crappy burnout knit fabric.  In terms of assembly, the shirt went together fine, but I decided there were some things I would do differently on round 2.  

So on round 2, I made a size 4/5, adding a bit over an inch to the bottom and a little less than that to the bottom of the sleeves.  The additional length was because the authors tell you not to hem knit fabrics - I'm not kidding.  I guess I'm ok with that if it is presented as an option but no, that was just it.  The phrase was something to the effect of "why waste time hemming a knit?"  Well, I get being eager to finish but I think a hem makes it look more polished so I added a little fabric.  Second, I added 3/4 of an inch or so to each side of the sleeve pieces so that my son has room to move his arms.  I might even do a little more if I make it again.  My other changes were in terms of construction.  I decided I wasn't into the aesthetic of the raw edge, so I sewed it right sides together to make a standard raglan.  On the side seams, I decided to go with a French seam.  And on the neck, I decided to put it in the way I know how, which is like a ribbed knit and I still had issues with fitting the neck in correctly!  More bunching & wierdness.  I think the neck piece is correctly sized but that when the sleeve, front, and back fit together at the top, it creates too big a hole. ETA - I went back & fixed the neck by removing the seams on about 4" of the neck/front/back joins, and sewed them  so that I ended up with a smaller neck hole.  Then I put the same neck piece back in & it seems to have worked.  Third time was the charm.

The neck (pre fix):

Frankly, with this many adjustments, I am considering trying an Ottobre raglan tee pattern I have instead of making this one again.  The instructions themselves were easy to follow on this pattern - my annoyance was more with fit and the neck assembly.  

Tip if you do try this pattern
: A size 4/5 or under, you can fit the front and back torso pieces (barely) onto a fat quarter of Spoonflower knits.  Spoonflower has some cute and different stuff but it is very expensive, so that was a nice option to me.  That said, Spoonflower's knit base is a cream color, so don't pick anything where you would expect a white.  And their color saturation is poor, so I would probably stick to lighter colors.

Updated - pic of short sleeve raglan

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013 11:59:02 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013 07:40:04 AM »

Thanks for the review on the pattern. It can be so difficult finding any pattern for guys so I too can see where so many reviewers did not sew before reviewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brian Jennings Talks About Censorship
Under the Dome Book Trailer
An Interview with Michael Yapko
Julia DeVillers Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Amy Reed Talks About Beautiful
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...