A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,142
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oliver + s Digital Sailbot Top Pattern  (Read 676 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donniesgirl
« on: February 03, 2013 06:29:58 PM »

This was my first Oliver & s pattern and I was a bit apprehensive because they are so pricey.  Cute boys patterns are so limited, though, so I decided to give one a try.  I am in love!  I have been sewing for years and this was probably the most clear pattern I have ever used.  There were plenty of diagrams and the ones that were there were useful and helped make the directions more clear.  

I went with a knit for the top & if I was to do that again, I might put interfacing on the entire top facing pieces.  It slid a little on the curved seams and if I had used contrasting thread, you could see my not-so perfect lines.  My son is also long waisted and if I make it again, I will probably add an extra inch to the length.  Other than that, it was perfect.  I might do a seersucker or linen next time.  I made it a size big, intending that he wear it next fall.  I will post a pic ASAP.  Here is a close up of the cute shoulders.

I am not planning on making the pants right now only because my son is potty training & I'll be doing elastic waists only for a bit.  And he doesn't wear skirts Wink so this review is only for the top.  I am thinking of making a friend an outfit for her daughter, though, and if I do, I will come back and edit my review.

I would not hesitate to try to buy other oliver + s patterns with one big caveat.  If ever given the choice, I will buy the paper pattern.  I cheaped out & went with a digital pattern, for which you do not pay shipping.  You can take it to a printer that has a 32" wide printer and have them print the last two pages so that your pattern pieces are all there.  The alternative is printing about 50 pages at home and trying to line all the pieces of paper up to then cut out your pieces (I did that once with an out of print Halloween costume pattern & it sucked in terms of time, paper, and printer ink).  I thought great - how bad could the printer be?  I took it to Fed Ex Kinkos and for those two pieces of paper, it cost me $20!!!  That made for one very expensive pattern!  So next time, I will either try the printer near my local university or more likely, spring for the $5 in shipping and save myself the hassle.  The good thing is I bought a size 4-8 and J is a size 3 now, so I can make it for years to come.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013 07:17:32 PM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013 09:33:03 AM »

Thanks for the review on the pattern. I've looked at Oliver + s patterns, but have yet to buy them. I may just get one now. And thanks for the tip on getting the paper pattern over the digital.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
runciblespoon
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013 02:14:59 PM »

Lovely photos! Thanks for the review. I'm a big fan of Oliver+S, though haven't ever made this pattern and am now very tempted...

I'd have to agree about the paper patterns being better than digital - even a tiny glitch in the printing causes such huge disruption to the pattern pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chef Gordon Ramsay Vs Take Away Food
Sri Lankan Venison Curry Recipe
Chinese BBQ Pork Recipe
How to Make Homemade Beef and Broccoli
How to Make a Thai Style Beef Salad
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...