A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stuffed HOT Cherry Pepper Shooters (Tuna & Sharp Provalone)  (Read 740 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TrickyMcVomit
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Uniclown.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2013 01:36:55 PM »

My Mom has been making these forever...Since I've moved away, I've adopted a lot of her go to recipes to satisfy cravings of home.

I'm terrible with writing out recipes so I'll just tell you what went into this (BIG) batch and you can half it if you'd like.

~4 - 32oz jars of cherry peppers- I used 3 mild 1 hot and mixed them up
~1lb sharp provalone diced into small chunks
~3 12oz cans of chunk light tuna in water (drained)
~1 small shaker jar of Parmesan cheese
~A few handfuls of breadcrumbs
~1 large bulb garlic diced
~1 large can of black pitted olives, diced (optional)
~Oil to fill the jars, I use vegetable oil but I guess olive oil would be good too
~Container for extra peppers. When you put the stuffed peppers back in the jars, they all won't fit any more, so make sure you have some place to put extras! =0)

Drain the cherry pepper liquid. Reserving at least 1 cup. Dump all the cherry peppers into a bowl.
Wearing a pair of latex gloves (or similar if allergic), cut the top off of each pepper and scoop out the seeds...I use a smaller pair of scissors for this instead of a knife.

Don't throw away all the seeds!! The seeds is where the heat comes from...you don't want to use all of the seeds (though I know some lunatics who might) but save a handful to add to the stuffing after it's mixed, that way you can control how spicy the stuffing is. Put in a little at a time and taste test it.

Mix provolone, tuna, Parmesan, bread crumbs, garlic and olives adding the reserved pepper juice. (It should be kind of like a thick dough consistency)

Pack stuffing down into each pepper and a little on the outside and place them carefully back into the empty jars one at a time so you can fit as many as you can in there. DON'T FORCE THEM! If it doesn't fit, pick another pepper!

After they are all snuggled into their jar, fill the full jar with oil, covering the peppers. There will be left overs! I filled a big gulp sized cup because I had no other containers to use lol If there is any left over stuffing, It wouldn't hurt to eat it straight or on bread like my bf likes it...after all, it is tuna =0)

I've taken this to my favorite bar a few times and people went crazy over them! they are good for cookouts too, just remember that it is tuna and cheese and will need some sort of refrigeration, so don't let them sit out too long! (though I don't think they will...seriously...people go nuts over these...) One reason why it's better to make up smaller jars, you can refrigerate the others and set one out at a time, just to make sure they don't sit, but I doubt they will!

I hope that all makes sense and I hope you try it and like it!

I can also answer any questions if any of that didn't make sense =0)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013 01:41:18 PM by TrickyMcVomit » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013 04:44:43 AM »

Garlic sitting in a jar of oil can grow botulism, so beware keep these in the fridge, and then for no more than a week. I know, your mom has been making them forever and hasn't killed anyone. But there are companies who were making garlic oil forever, too, until botulism outbreaks interrupted their perfect scores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ann Pearlman Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Nic Sheff Reveals His Favorite Words
Glenn Beck Talks About The Christmas Sweater
Stacy Morrison Talks About Falling Apart in One Piece
Adena Halpern Talks About 29
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...