A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,630
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Images  (Read 674 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itscribe
« on: February 03, 2013 12:56:37 PM »

I've been thinking about opening a shop that offers high res scanned versions of some of the public domain art that I work with. I looked around on Etsy and see a lot of folks are selling what seems to be completed pieces - taking a bird image and adding some script, sheet music and a number of elements to create tags for example. Their work is lovely but I can't help but wonder if some people would rather pick their own elements to put together.

I was wondering...would it work selling collections of images in their original state? Do paper artists want the images already incorporated into a tag or a totally ready to print and use inchie or would they like to have a source where they could just get the images and then put them together themselves?

What are things that you have trouble finding? What is on your wish list?

Or, do you just use Google images?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BelleBeryl
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013 01:22:40 AM »

I usually search free printables / free domain images to copy for cardmaking , ATC etc . I think some people might like what you want to offer. You could perhaps if the moderator is ok with it offer a sort of trial here for anyone on Craftster who might be interested. One can always ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelleBeryl
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013 10:39:35 AM »

Hi , got your pm and I read your post on the paper crafts section this morning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013 04:02:04 AM »

I buy image sets because once you put together a ready-made ATC for sale, for example, it's then your art and not mine. I buy stationery packs (patterns and grungy type backgrounds), vintage image individuals or sets in themes since I have niche markets, and random "decor" sets. That way I can mix and match to infinity. Those black and white "sketchy" images are a dime a dozen, and there are tons of pointless "beautiful women" and floral images out there. Colored images of everyday objects are much harder to find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013 08:43:48 AM »

Thank you both for the great feedback. I wish this post could have stayed in the paper crafts area. But rulz is rulz I suppose.  Undecided

While I like many of the things folks are offering, I would think the true artisans are more like you CraftyChef and want to just get raw images. Beautiful women and floral image overload? Good to know. Sadly much of the vintage stuff is flowers from still life paintings and portraits. Were the women that you've seen mainly pin-up kinda images or portrait-like?

Are bugs, birds and butterflies over saturated too do you think?

Everyday items. In color. Uhm. Guess that means I'll have to look harder for advertising type images. I've noticed with my web projects that it is harder to find usable things like that. Might be a good niche once I get going and have more to invest in purchasing original pieces.

If you're looking for colored images, do you ever consider using a black and white drawing and editing it? Would you be more apt to edit a simple line drawing over one that is fully 'colored in' with gray tones?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013 05:10:25 PM »

Oh, for sure I recolor lots of things, but those black and white images all have the same flat look no matter how you dress them up.

Hee - I'm not saying the other stuff won't sell. They will for sure, so you should sell them! But if you manage to dig out something more interesting, you can charge a premium. Heh, if you find any food/cooking, sewing or knitting subject matter...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013 01:37:55 PM »

Good information, as usual, from you CraftyChef. Will keep your suggestions in mind.

BTW, there's not a lot to pick from, but have you ever visited my freebie images site? The pictures are scavenged, so the sizes and quality are not as good as I would hope to offer in a shop but there's some pretty ones - http://www.reusableart.com/v/food/fruit/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drawing a Cartoon Giraffe
Drawing a Cartoon Lion
Drawing a Cartoon Horse
Drawing a Cartoon Cat
Drawing a Cartoon Dog
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...