A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday -- Feb 1, 2012  (Read 638 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday , earflap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: February 01, 2013 02:31:04 PM »

Hello and Happy Fiber Friday to all!!

I have a finished object to share, from a yarn I spun ages ago and just finally figured out how I wanted to use it.

First the yarn, Raspberry Puff, which I spun last year:  

The yarn is a blend of merino and corriedale, which I blended a couple of different ways.  I combed some of that, found it tedious, and made faux rolags for the rest, which seemed much faster and more fun.  (Now a drum carder would be most fun of all, but since I don't have that, faux rolags it is.)  It's plied with a mystery fiber raspberry yarn from a thrift store.

I used the yarn to make an earflap hat.  I only had 90 yards of the yarn, and used every last inch of it for the hat.  (Sorry the photo quality is not great.  I can't get a decent self-portrait and my 6 year-old refuses to model for me anymore.)

Here's a link to the hat pattern.  It's quickly become my favorite way to use up small skeins of bulky yarn:  http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cwe-earflapHat.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013 02:33:02 PM by nikschaf - Reason: ugh - modified to fix date. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013 05:29:43 PM »

I love the finished hat!! I love the yarn, too of course.  But the hat looks so squishy and warm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013 09:18:39 PM »

Nik, very fun yarn! And the hat does indeed look super comfy!

And may I just say YAY FIBER FRIDAY! I've missed it. I was going to start one today and then I didn't. But here I am!

~6.5oz wool/Angelina batt thick n' thin spun plied with thin wool. I call it "Femme Patriot" because it's red white and indigo. ~ 115 yards
Also the single I spun to ply with the batt. There was a lot left over so I n-plied it to make ~50 yards.

The Bloody Nun, as a reference to those "black white and red all over" jokes. ~215 yards, quick spun, just a fun single. Lots of shiny! wool/Angelina

And this was more of that random horrific beginners yarn someone gave me. Like, worse than any beginner on here kind of yarn, like they didn't know how to join new fiber so they tied it in a knot not kidding. So I unspun it, respun it, and 2 plied it. I think I have a little white somewhere I did, too. It was absurdly ridiculous to unspin and it's not all even or perfect, but it is yarn. It was fun even through the aggravation. I know I was mentally cursing it (would have been verbally but I had kids in the room) the whole time but I feel more like I enjoyed the experience than anything. Hm, life lesson hidden in there somewhere I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013 05:44:57 AM »

Beautiful yarns, jexxican!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013 07:27:01 PM »

I know -- yay for Fiber Friday is right!!  I have totally missed it too.

I love your yarns, and their names of course.  Our joke for the "what's black and white with red all over" answer was "a zebra with diaper rash."  :-)  You know, I think that last yarn (the one you unspun and re-spun) is great!!  I think it was well worth the time you spent on it.

I do love this style of hat --- so comfy.  I wish my son would have modeled it though, since it makes him look like a little girl with purple braids when he wears it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013 12:20:27 PM »

Great work, ladies!!

"bloody nun", you're killing me Jexxi!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shampoo Your Hair Correctly
Jennifer Aniston Wants Supermodel Hair
How to Do a Crown Braid Tutorial
How to Braid Your Hair for Christmas
Model Soo Joo Park on Her Blonde Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...