A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Joining a YoYo Afghan  (Read 966 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starsky
« on: January 31, 2013 03:30:42 PM »

Huh

I am very new to crochet. I can make washcloths and dishtowels, lumpy granny squares and Yoyos. I had a TON of random yarn left over from something else, and made like 100 yoyos. It DEFINITELY helped me even out my tension. But now I have 100 yoyos.

I would like to join them all into a blanket for my daughter, they're the perfect colors (I think) to join (and possible edge) with a nice warm wooly brown.

Anyway, the usual way I see people make yoyo afgahns is to either join as you go, or join in such a way that the afghan itself is very lacy and I don't really want that with a toddler. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The afghan doesn't even necessarily have to result in a square or rectangle. I just want it a bit more solid - more like when you join a bunch of granny squares. Except not.

I probably sound like a loon.

Anyway, if I can figure this out, I will have made my first "real" project so I am really super excited.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper Quiller
Random Crafter
Brand new Crocheter and I LOVE it!

I am new on Ravelry!
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013 07:11:52 PM »

What about hand stitching them to the surface of a fulled wool blanket? Or pretend the yoyos are squares and join them in such a way that they become very squarish, not leaving a lot of holes in between.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starsky
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013 12:19:07 PM »

I would not have a clue on how to start hand sewing crochet to another fabric - though it is on my list of things to do after seeing my sister in law add crochet edging to some dog blankets she sewed. It was quite lovely!

I am thinking that once I get my brown yarn I am going to go around each yoyo again with a round of the brown and then use the brown to turn each yoyo into a square and then stitch those together then add a fancy edge.

I am way too new to even try to figure out how to stich them together in a way that squares them without some kind of pattern, but I am confident I can turn the yoyos into squares so thats probably my best bet.

Thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper Quiller
Random Crafter

I am new on Ravelry!
xyphir
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013 02:47:06 PM »

How many stitches around are your yoyo's? If you do a 'final round' and use that round to join as you go that could be a way to do it.
Join as you go SOUNDS scary, but it is actually really easy. The fun part is that you put all your squares/yoyo's on the ground and think "OK, so that's about the size of my blanket" and then as you JAYG it grows really fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starsky
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013 05:05:52 PM »

How many stitches around are your yoyo's? If you do a 'final round' and use that round to join as you go that could be a way to do it.
Join as you go SOUNDS scary, but it is actually really easy. The fun part is that you put all your squares/yoyo's on the ground and think "OK, so that's about the size of my blanket" and then as you JAYG it grows really fast.

Seriously, I am an idiot. This is the simplest solution humanly possible!
Thank you for knocking me upside the head with a 'duh by four lol.

I'm planning to use one of my daughters crib blankets so I can make sure it's slightly bigger in every direction so... This is perfect.

If I succeed in making it and its not ugly as all heck,  I'll post it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper Quiller
Random Crafter

I am new on Ravelry!
xyphir
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013 05:37:04 PM »

It's ok - I only just learned about JAYG. I had a TONNE of motifs which I stared at in despair before I figured it out, too. The thought of handsewing them all together really depressed me with the sheer scale. Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xyphir
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013 01:31:21 PM »

Hi Starsky,
Here is a photo for inspiration Smiley
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22082990@N07/5320067092/sizes/l/in/photostream/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ziggee
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013 02:16:42 PM »

Huh

I am very new to crochet. I can make washcloths and dishtowels, lumpy granny squares and Yoyos. I had a TON of random yarn left over from something else, and made like 100 yoyos. It DEFINITELY helped me even out my tension. But now I have 100 yoyos.

I would like to join them all into a blanket for my daughter, they're the perfect colors (I think) to join (and possible edge) with a nice warm wooly brown.

Anyway, the usual way I see people make yoyo afgahns is to either join as you go, or join in such a way that the afghan itself is very lacy and I don't really want that with a toddler. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The afghan doesn't even necessarily have to result in a square or rectangle. I just want it a bit more solid - more like when you join a bunch of granny squares. Except not.

I probably sound like a loon.

Anyway, if I can figure this out, I will have made my first "real" project so I am really super excited.

You don't sound like a loon.

Here are a couple of sites I've found that shows you how to attach yo yos.

http://sewing.about.com/od/homedecprojects/ss/joinyo-yos_2.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op36F8Qu5bE
http://mousechirpy-polkadotpineapple.blogspot.com/2008/03/tutorial-joining-fabric-yo-yos-in-quilt.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ziggee
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013 02:22:03 PM »

I was thinking of making a Yo-Yo quilt but I was thinking of inserting a round disk of batting half the size of the original yo yo to make it warmer and make it more quilt like.  Then I would attach the yo yo's.  I can't decide if I want to make round or square yo-yo's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xyphir
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013 03:51:59 PM »

Yo, Yo, How are "yo" going Starsky?
Would love to see some pics of progress so we can be your cheerleader team cheering you on!
X
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 21/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 2/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 16/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 1/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 12/29
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...