A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Joining a YoYo Afghan  (Read 914 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starsky
« on: January 31, 2013 03:30:42 PM »

Huh

I am very new to crochet. I can make washcloths and dishtowels, lumpy granny squares and Yoyos. I had a TON of random yarn left over from something else, and made like 100 yoyos. It DEFINITELY helped me even out my tension. But now I have 100 yoyos.

I would like to join them all into a blanket for my daughter, they're the perfect colors (I think) to join (and possible edge) with a nice warm wooly brown.

Anyway, the usual way I see people make yoyo afgahns is to either join as you go, or join in such a way that the afghan itself is very lacy and I don't really want that with a toddler. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The afghan doesn't even necessarily have to result in a square or rectangle. I just want it a bit more solid - more like when you join a bunch of granny squares. Except not.

I probably sound like a loon.

Anyway, if I can figure this out, I will have made my first "real" project so I am really super excited.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper Quiller
Random Crafter
Brand new Crocheter and I LOVE it!

I am new on Ravelry!
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013 07:11:52 PM »

What about hand stitching them to the surface of a fulled wool blanket? Or pretend the yoyos are squares and join them in such a way that they become very squarish, not leaving a lot of holes in between.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starsky
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013 12:19:07 PM »

I would not have a clue on how to start hand sewing crochet to another fabric - though it is on my list of things to do after seeing my sister in law add crochet edging to some dog blankets she sewed. It was quite lovely!

I am thinking that once I get my brown yarn I am going to go around each yoyo again with a round of the brown and then use the brown to turn each yoyo into a square and then stitch those together then add a fancy edge.

I am way too new to even try to figure out how to stich them together in a way that squares them without some kind of pattern, but I am confident I can turn the yoyos into squares so thats probably my best bet.

Thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper Quiller
Random Crafter

I am new on Ravelry!
xyphir
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013 02:47:06 PM »

How many stitches around are your yoyo's? If you do a 'final round' and use that round to join as you go that could be a way to do it.
Join as you go SOUNDS scary, but it is actually really easy. The fun part is that you put all your squares/yoyo's on the ground and think "OK, so that's about the size of my blanket" and then as you JAYG it grows really fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starsky
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013 05:05:52 PM »

How many stitches around are your yoyo's? If you do a 'final round' and use that round to join as you go that could be a way to do it.
Join as you go SOUNDS scary, but it is actually really easy. The fun part is that you put all your squares/yoyo's on the ground and think "OK, so that's about the size of my blanket" and then as you JAYG it grows really fast.

Seriously, I am an idiot. This is the simplest solution humanly possible!
Thank you for knocking me upside the head with a 'duh by four lol.

I'm planning to use one of my daughters crib blankets so I can make sure it's slightly bigger in every direction so... This is perfect.

If I succeed in making it and its not ugly as all heck,  I'll post it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper Quiller
Random Crafter

I am new on Ravelry!
xyphir
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013 05:37:04 PM »

It's ok - I only just learned about JAYG. I had a TONNE of motifs which I stared at in despair before I figured it out, too. The thought of handsewing them all together really depressed me with the sheer scale. Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xyphir
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013 01:31:21 PM »

Hi Starsky,
Here is a photo for inspiration Smiley
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22082990@N07/5320067092/sizes/l/in/photostream/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ziggee
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013 02:16:42 PM »

Huh

I am very new to crochet. I can make washcloths and dishtowels, lumpy granny squares and Yoyos. I had a TON of random yarn left over from something else, and made like 100 yoyos. It DEFINITELY helped me even out my tension. But now I have 100 yoyos.

I would like to join them all into a blanket for my daughter, they're the perfect colors (I think) to join (and possible edge) with a nice warm wooly brown.

Anyway, the usual way I see people make yoyo afgahns is to either join as you go, or join in such a way that the afghan itself is very lacy and I don't really want that with a toddler. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The afghan doesn't even necessarily have to result in a square or rectangle. I just want it a bit more solid - more like when you join a bunch of granny squares. Except not.

I probably sound like a loon.

Anyway, if I can figure this out, I will have made my first "real" project so I am really super excited.

You don't sound like a loon.

Here are a couple of sites I've found that shows you how to attach yo yos.

http://sewing.about.com/od/homedecprojects/ss/joinyo-yos_2.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op36F8Qu5bE
http://mousechirpy-polkadotpineapple.blogspot.com/2008/03/tutorial-joining-fabric-yo-yos-in-quilt.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ziggee
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013 02:22:03 PM »

I was thinking of making a Yo-Yo quilt but I was thinking of inserting a round disk of batting half the size of the original yo yo to make it warmer and make it more quilt like.  Then I would attach the yo yo's.  I can't decide if I want to make round or square yo-yo's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xyphir
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013 03:51:59 PM »

Yo, Yo, How are "yo" going Starsky?
Would love to see some pics of progress so we can be your cheerleader team cheering you on!
X
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Street Chic: Smart and Casual Office Attire
4 Ways to Refresh Your Denim For Spring and Summer
Spring 2013 Fashion Trends Rundown
60 Seconds of Street Style From Paris Fashion Week
Emma Stone Shows Us How to Make Cocktail Dresses Daytime-Casual
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...