A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,916
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! How can I make my shorts longer?  (Read 5393 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CanCatie
« on: January 30, 2013 10:05:21 AM »

Hi! I'm new to Craftster (and a little new to sewing) and hoped that come more experienced crafters can give me some advice. I'm pretty good at sewing from patterns and have made myself a few skirts, blouses and dresses but now I have a new problem that I can't figure out. I ordered a playsuit from Asos, and it's lovely but the shorts are just too short for me. They're okay for winter/autumn when I can wear thick tights but for wearing them in warm weather I'd like to add some material to the bottom.

My problem is that this is not something I've ever done before and I don't really know where to start. Here is a link to the playsuit: http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Pussybow-Playsuit-in-Bird-Print/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2477608&affid=3504

I'd like to add about 12cm (5 inches) if I can but I don't know if that's really possible. The playsuit is 100% viscose and the shorts are fairly wide.

What kind of fabric should I use?
Can I machine sew it or do I need to do it by hand?
Aesthetically, I thought I'd just try to match the black of the fabric, does that seem like the best choice or would I be better off trying to complement the black/grey?
Any suggestions for measuring fabric, common mistakes etc.?

Any advice would be great, even if it's just "Sorry, not likely to work". Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013 09:50:35 AM »

Is there a lot of fabric in the hem?  Let it down all the way and see if that's enough. 
Adding 5" of non-matching fabric is going to look kind of junky.  An inch or two might look OK.  Use fabric that is similar to the playsuit in weight and "feel."   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013 07:09:45 PM »

Have you actually received the playsuit yet? You have to remember that the girl in the photo is probably around 5'10" (or taller!) so her thighs are proportionally longer, making the shorts look that much shorter.

As for modding the shorts if they really are too short for you, that looks like a rolled hem (no hem to let down), so I'd get a lightweight grey viscose (aka rayon, aka bamboo) that matches the bluejays/cardinals/titmouses, whatever they are, and add a folded band. The strip would be the hem-length + seam allowance long by 2x band height + seam allowances high. At first, baste it on with a long stitch to see if a doubled band affects the drape too much while wearing, and if so, you'll have to go to a single band where you just hem the bottom of the band you've added on. Otherwise, if the folded band looks good, go over the seam again with your regular stitch length and finish the raw edge in some way (zigzag, folded inwards and stitched, etc). Don't forget to press your new seams!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yizzimindi
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013 05:41:42 PM »

You could try adding lace to the bottoms, or wearing lace tights underneath.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lori Bergamotto Pairs Designer and Affordable Pieces for the Perfect Look
Learn to Pair Feminine and Military-Inspired Pieces in One Look
Noelle Sciacca Talks About Snagging Designer Pieces on Sale
A Perfect Outfit for Work
At Home with Jayna Maleri of Lucky Magazine
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...