A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,679
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jungle January dress  (Read 1289 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigergirl
« on: January 15, 2013 05:32:53 AM »

My Jungle January dress. It's actually draped rather than drafted but who's going to split hairs?

I've had this fabric for approx. 4 years. It's pretty wild fabric, each flower, leaf and piece of fruit is actually an animal. The design is in panels - three across the width of the fabric. The coloured part is just over 150cm wide.

One of the reasons I've pulled it out, draped it, pulled it this way and that, then finally returned it to the stash about 100 times is because I just wasn't quite sure how to make something from it. The length of the print is too short for me to get a knee length dress out of and I don't wear dresses shorter than that unless I'm wearing tights which restricts me to colder weather - we don't have a lot of that here in Brisbane. I thought it would look better if the urn was centred on the front and back but then it would really be cutting it fine on the hips where the prints ended. With this print, I didn't want seams messing things up but what about the sway back - how could I deal with that? I didn't want the print finishing across the middle of my bust - that always reminds me of an empire line gone wrong but I also didn't want that tigerlily making me look like Eve in the Garden of Eden using a tigerlily instead of a leaf either. Add to that, the bottom of the urn isn't even perpendicular with the grain, it's at an angle. Well, lots of things that just added up to "too hard basket". Finally I decided that as I had two lengths of it (ie. 6 panels), I'd just do the best I could and still have some left over if I got a better idea at a later date.

I marked out two panels that were perpendicular to the bottom of the urns, sewed straight up the sides and got to work. Due to the angles of the urns and one panel being on the edge of the fabric, one panel had to be wider than the other - it's a design feature. Too hard to work with without shoulders, so I found some black knit that was used years ago to make a few skirts, chopped off some offcut looking bits and sewed them to the top. Unfortunately, the back piece was a bit narrow.

In progress:

At this stage, I had the hem pinned and marked and it was perfect. A lot of time was spent pinning, marking, sewing, cutting (repeat ad infinitum) to get the sides right. More time working out the shoulders (which involved stretching the back up to get rid of the sway back puddle). Now, I could have removed that too narrow back piece and put a wider one on - that would have been the smart thing to do, instead, I added a little panel on each side of the back piece (I'm all about the design features).

My intention was to overlock the whole thing but because I was flying by the seat of my pants the whole time, I started with the sewing machine - with white thread (easier to see and unpick and no loss of fabric). As that seemed to be going ok and my new overlocker which isn't thrilling me was threaded in white, I decided to switch the sewing machine to black thread and carry on winging it. The armholes and hem were twin needled but the necklines have a deep (6 cm) seam allowance that is currently just hanging down inside the neckline - I'll probably tack them down.

Of course, by this stage all but two of the hem pins had fallen out and the chalk marks were long gone (although, they're still nice and prominent down the middle of the back and front). I had to redo the hem marking but things were looking a bit weird, in the end, I decided "it'll do" because I wanted to wear it out that night. I'm sure the hem's not perfect but I don't think there is anything too noticably wonky going on.

Now I'm thinking I might just make a shorter one with sleeves to wear with tights for winter

I'm glad I finally made something in this fabric, as soon as I saw it in the store I had to have it. My favourite thing is the smoking lion, it appeals to my sense of the absurd and it's socially not kosher.

The blog post -> http://tigergirladventures.blogspot.com/2013/01/jungle-january-dress-self-drafted.html.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013 06:01:53 AM »

I love it! You look stunning in it too Smiley I loved reading your thought process on making the dress too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013 07:54:17 AM »

Beautiful! It looks like the perfect use for that fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013 08:05:03 AM »

Beautiful dress and the fabric is perfect for the silhouette. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigergirl
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013 12:33:38 PM »

Thanks! I'm glad it turned out wearable but boy was it tedious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013 01:32:02 PM »

Fantastic dress!!!!  And I love, love, love the fabric!  (did I mention I love the fabric?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigergirl
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013 01:23:57 AM »

Fantastic dress!!!!  And I love, love, love the fabric!  (did I mention I love the fabric?)

ha ha - it's distinctive, that's for sure and I've got four more panels to play with
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moon_angel314

Nature has music for those who listen....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013 08:42:49 PM »

That's cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Anna Banana
PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013 01:22:47 PM »

Great fabric! I can understand why you draped it, it really needs to speak. All the animals, awesome print!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Portrait Photography
How to Take Headshots
Learn Basic Photography Techniques
How to Do Time Lapse Photography
How to Do a Photobomb
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...