A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Watercolor Portrait  (Read 1125 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 27, 2013 10:12:34 PM »

I'm in two Independent Study art classes at school, and my teacher requires 8 projects from me. We're on a trimester schedule, midterms were last week, and I currently have 1/8 graded projects Sad So I whipped this up one day.

It's on 18"x24" Strathmore 400-series paper, 140 lb. cold press

In progress:

In the school art display:

My teacher wants me to enter it in an upcoming art show, but I'm really just not that sold on it. I feel like I could do better, especially on the hair. There are also a ton of paintings and drawings every year, so I think I might go mixed media with a pasta portrait. Taking macaroni art to the next level, you know? Tongue. . . What do you guys think?

C&C welcomed and encouraged!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Beautifulsoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Born a Craftster

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013 10:25:16 PM »

Well, I can't suggest much since I can't draw or obviously paint  Embarrassed but I agree with you about the hair. I think you can definitely do more. Is there a way you can add like, more visible hair strokes? If that makes any sense...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amber
Cincinnati,OH
Interested in personal swaps!
www.ambernewmanjewe lry.etsy.com
www.pinterest.com/missamberen/boards
amberlybites
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013 11:04:16 PM »

Oh I really love this! I like the softness and volume of the hair. I also love the eyelashes and little smudges and dots of paint around the image. I've never tried watercolors. I may have to experiment soon! The only self-portrait I've ever attempted was for a employee art show at my old bookstore where I used only the contents of my cosmetic bag. My mom has it hanging in her hallway and apparently loves it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaperBeau
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013 02:06:55 AM »

personally I love the softness of this watercolour - you should be proud Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013 08:14:22 AM »

I personally love it as-is.  I love the softness of the hair, as her expression is where my focus lands.  She's beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013 10:13:54 AM »

I think I might go mixed media with a pasta portrait. Taking macaroni art to the next level, you know? Tongue

BWAHAHAHAHA! DOOOOO EEEEET!!!!!

Ahem, yes, anyway Tongue I think your portrait is awesome, and I LOVE her hair! You do good tonal work Cheesy Stick her in a nice matte white frame and call her a masterpiece! I especially love the finishing touches of paint splatter. They evoke swirling autumnal debris, like dirt and leaves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013 10:53:24 AM »

Well, I can't suggest much since I can't draw or obviously paint  Embarrassed but I agree with you about the hair. I think you can definitely do more. Is there a way you can add like, more visible hair strokes? If that makes any sense...

That's kind of what I was thinking. I might go through and do just a few more purplish lines in the big areas of hair, then really fade them, to keep it looking soft. Thanks!

Oh I really love this! I like the softness and volume of the hair. I also love the eyelashes and little smudges and dots of paint around the image. I've never tried watercolors. I may have to experiment soon! The only self-portrait I've ever attempted was for a employee art show at my old bookstore where I used only the contents of my cosmetic bag. My mom has it hanging in her hallway and apparently loves it.

You should definitely try watercolors! I used to think they were stupid because I always thought people painted flowers and pastel girly type stuff, but since I've been experimenting, I've found that they're actually incredibly versatile. I especially love this mini-tut by Phantome to show how to do bolder work.

personally I love the softness of this watercolour - you should be proud Smiley

Thanks so much. Softness is what I was going for, especially in the expression. I'm glad that you like it Grin

I personally love it as-is.  I love the softness of the hair, as her expression is where my focus lands.  She's beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.

I worked extra-hard on the expression. I'm glad it conveys the feeling I was going for. Thanks Smiley

I think I might go mixed media with a pasta portrait. Taking macaroni art to the next level, you know? Tongue

BWAHAHAHAHA! DOOOOO EEEEET!!!!!

Ahem, yes, anyway Tongue I think your portrait is awesome, and I LOVE her hair! You do good tonal work Cheesy Stick her in a nice matte white frame and call her a masterpiece! I especially love the finishing touches of paint splatter. They evoke swirling autumnal debris, like dirt and leaves.

Oh good, I'm glad someone else thinks that super-mac art is a good idea. My mom gave me the crazy look Sad. I want to experiment with lots of different shapes and colors of pasta. I'll have to post it if I ever get anything good done.

And thanks for the framing advice. My usual go-to is a black matte, since I do a lot of pen and ink or boldly colored work, but black just seemed too harsh for this. I also don't like colored mats and frames because I feel they draw attention away from the subject. White seems like the perfect idea! Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Oath Keeper

Addicted to Plushies...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013 01:08:37 PM »

I LOVE this painting. It has such a dreamy feel to it. I'm especially found of the hair Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC swap: Done
100 facts swap: Awaiting partners

Can't swap? I do commissions too Wink
anderlance
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013 05:28:24 PM »

We're always our own worst critics.  I love this picture and deem it BEAUTIFUL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yazmeenv
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013 12:12:44 AM »

ABsolutely gorgeous! love watercolors and use them perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Red Eye
Surgically Implant Eyes Can Help Macular Degeneration Patients
Facts and Myths About LASIK and Contact Lenses
Which Is Worse for Your Eyes: Sun Reflection or Snow Reflection?
The Dangers of the Eyeball Licking Stunt
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...