A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Watercolor Portrait  (Read 1342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 27, 2013 10:12:34 PM »

I'm in two Independent Study art classes at school, and my teacher requires 8 projects from me. We're on a trimester schedule, midterms were last week, and I currently have 1/8 graded projects Sad So I whipped this up one day.

It's on 18"x24" Strathmore 400-series paper, 140 lb. cold press

In progress:

In the school art display:

My teacher wants me to enter it in an upcoming art show, but I'm really just not that sold on it. I feel like I could do better, especially on the hair. There are also a ton of paintings and drawings every year, so I think I might go mixed media with a pasta portrait. Taking macaroni art to the next level, you know? Tongue. . . What do you guys think?

C&C welcomed and encouraged!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Beautifulsoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Born a Craftster

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013 10:25:16 PM »

Well, I can't suggest much since I can't draw or obviously paint  Embarrassed but I agree with you about the hair. I think you can definitely do more. Is there a way you can add like, more visible hair strokes? If that makes any sense...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amber
Cincinnati,OH
Interested in personal swaps!
www.ambernewmanjewelry.etsy.com
www.pinterest.com/missamberen/boards
amberlybites
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013 11:04:16 PM »

Oh I really love this! I like the softness and volume of the hair. I also love the eyelashes and little smudges and dots of paint around the image. I've never tried watercolors. I may have to experiment soon! The only self-portrait I've ever attempted was for a employee art show at my old bookstore where I used only the contents of my cosmetic bag. My mom has it hanging in her hallway and apparently loves it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaperBeau
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013 02:06:55 AM »

personally I love the softness of this watercolour - you should be proud Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013 08:14:22 AM »

I personally love it as-is.  I love the softness of the hair, as her expression is where my focus lands.  She's beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013 10:13:54 AM »

I think I might go mixed media with a pasta portrait. Taking macaroni art to the next level, you know? Tongue

BWAHAHAHAHA! DOOOOO EEEEET!!!!!

Ahem, yes, anyway Tongue I think your portrait is awesome, and I LOVE her hair! You do good tonal work Cheesy Stick her in a nice matte white frame and call her a masterpiece! I especially love the finishing touches of paint splatter. They evoke swirling autumnal debris, like dirt and leaves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013 10:53:24 AM »

Well, I can't suggest much since I can't draw or obviously paint  Embarrassed but I agree with you about the hair. I think you can definitely do more. Is there a way you can add like, more visible hair strokes? If that makes any sense...

That's kind of what I was thinking. I might go through and do just a few more purplish lines in the big areas of hair, then really fade them, to keep it looking soft. Thanks!

Oh I really love this! I like the softness and volume of the hair. I also love the eyelashes and little smudges and dots of paint around the image. I've never tried watercolors. I may have to experiment soon! The only self-portrait I've ever attempted was for a employee art show at my old bookstore where I used only the contents of my cosmetic bag. My mom has it hanging in her hallway and apparently loves it.

You should definitely try watercolors! I used to think they were stupid because I always thought people painted flowers and pastel girly type stuff, but since I've been experimenting, I've found that they're actually incredibly versatile. I especially love this mini-tut by Phantome to show how to do bolder work.

personally I love the softness of this watercolour - you should be proud Smiley

Thanks so much. Softness is what I was going for, especially in the expression. I'm glad that you like it Grin

I personally love it as-is.  I love the softness of the hair, as her expression is where my focus lands.  She's beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.

I worked extra-hard on the expression. I'm glad it conveys the feeling I was going for. Thanks Smiley

I think I might go mixed media with a pasta portrait. Taking macaroni art to the next level, you know? Tongue

BWAHAHAHAHA! DOOOOO EEEEET!!!!!

Ahem, yes, anyway Tongue I think your portrait is awesome, and I LOVE her hair! You do good tonal work Cheesy Stick her in a nice matte white frame and call her a masterpiece! I especially love the finishing touches of paint splatter. They evoke swirling autumnal debris, like dirt and leaves.

Oh good, I'm glad someone else thinks that super-mac art is a good idea. My mom gave me the crazy look Sad. I want to experiment with lots of different shapes and colors of pasta. I'll have to post it if I ever get anything good done.

And thanks for the framing advice. My usual go-to is a black matte, since I do a lot of pen and ink or boldly colored work, but black just seemed too harsh for this. I also don't like colored mats and frames because I feel they draw attention away from the subject. White seems like the perfect idea! Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Oath Keeper

Addicted to Plushies...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013 01:08:37 PM »

I LOVE this painting. It has such a dreamy feel to it. I'm especially found of the hair Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anderlance
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013 05:28:24 PM »

We're always our own worst critics.  I love this picture and deem it BEAUTIFUL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yazmeenv
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013 12:12:44 AM »

ABsolutely gorgeous! love watercolors and use them perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Maintain a Wig
How to Wear a Wig
How to Get the Best Hairdressing Products
Stephanie’s Makeover with Shantal Dupon - Part 1/2
Stephanie’s Makeover with Shantal Dupon – Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...