A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Job Offer (semi sewing related)  (Read 615 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RainbowStars
« on: January 26, 2013 09:31:32 PM »

So I just wanted to get some input about a decision I have to make soon. Lips sealed

I currently work at a long established (18years) alterations place in my home town, Ive been there for about 8 months. Its been pretty good. Just a regular, permanent part time, job. No major dramas, good work environment, lovely work collogues and lots of work. The only set back for me, no dressmaking, its all just alterations. Also my boss knows I make 50s style dresses and still does not recommend me to make circle skirts to rock n roll dancers that do come to the shop. Set uniform.

So cut to now, a New (12months) Vintage clothing / pin up shop, that also does alterations, around the corner ask me to take in a few dresses Ive made just to see if they would sell my stuff in store/if they wanted my dresses to sell. I was asked to come back in the next day and they offered me a traineeship on the spot as they are over loaded with custom dressmaking orders / alterations. Willing to pay same wage / match. No uniform, can dress 50s all the time.

I just wanted some thoughts, ideas, input as Im having a hard time. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013 09:59:25 AM »

If it were me, I'd give the old place my notice. At some point in your (seemingly well established!) dress-making/alterations career, you're going need to grow and move on up. It seems the opportunity has now been placed in your lap! Loyalty to your current employer is something they should (and I hope, do) value, but they missed out on utilizing your skills to their full. So now you gotta ask yourself, are you content hemming pants with a smidge of custom work for this other shop on the side? Or are you ready to take the leap into full-time custom fabrication in a fashion genre you love?

Also, since the new place wants you as a dressmaker, not just an assistant, ask for a higher wage. I bet the owner won't even bat an eye  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013 06:12:21 AM »

It's scary to leave a steady job, especially in this economy, but the new opportunity seems a much better fit, and if there are 2 alterations shops kept busy in the same place, sounds like either way you'll be able to get work from somewhere. Go for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013 07:56:52 AM »

It seems like the new place has truly established their business. If they were just opening their doors, I would maybe say to go slow. But, the fact that you are asking seems like you have some reason to be cautious. You need to figure out if you are more worried about loyalty, fear of the unknown or some something with the new place that you just can't put your finger on.

Maybe see if you could work part-time in both places for a while. Figure out what it is that is making you hold back.

I agree with CraftyChef, you should get a higher wage than your current position if you will be constructing garments. Lots of people who can alter anything will never be able to make whole garments. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change Colors on Objects in Photoshop Cs4
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 1/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 2/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 3/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 4/5
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...