A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
760 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to ride my bicycle... (picture obese)  (Read 1368 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2013 08:28:50 PM »

So, I hadn't made anything for myself in what was beginning to feel like a million or so years. I decided to take a break from craftster for a while because I couldn't afford to do any more swaps for a while so I exiled myself to avoid the temptation (temptation and I are good friends, we go waaaaay back...). Anywho, after the crazy that is Christmas and making gifts and cooking for a house-load and baking 9255925465238 different things, I finally decided to sit down and make something for myself.
I've used the Coffee Date dress from Burda a bunch of times. Or rather, I've used the bodice from the dress a bunch of times, and either frankensteined it with another skirt pattern or drafted my own. This time I figured I'd actually try the pattern as nature intended, so to speak. Actually that's a lie. I stick to patterns about as well as I stick to recipes... I think I may have a problem with being told what to do... The fabric is part of my haul from JoAnns black friday sale LAST thinksgiving, that I have been saving until I felt competent enough to tackle something and not trash the fabric. It turns out it creases like a fothermucker, which is mighty annoying, but it does have a slight stretch to it so all may be forgiven.
So anyway, on to the pictures....

I'm less than thrilled by the fit. Like I said, I've used the bodice pattern before and thought that the fit was ok, but this turned out horribly.

There's just far too much ease through the waist and hips, and it makes me look really wide and completely swamps my figure. It's weird though because it fits across the shoulder and bust. The dressform is set to my measurements and is lost in there...

Weirdly, it also seems to look right from the side.

I'm so proud of this zip. I hand sewed that sucker in. I think I may have made myself go blind in the process, but I think it's worth it.

I decided to forego the facings because I found bias tape in the stash. It wasn't mine but it had been sitting in the drawer for ages so I'm fairly certain that whatever project it was bought for has long since been forgotten... I really like how it adds a bit of dimension to the neckline. Also, the original pattern had a ruffle down the front of the bodice. It's cute, but not me, so I skipped that too.

Check out how well these seams line up. *smug*. Ok, less smug, because the fit is atrocious and I need to alter it, so chance are I will lose my perfectly lined up seams.
I'm super proud of how the dress turned out in terms of the finish. I put a lot more thought into this than I have previous projects. I even hand sewed a (very nearly) blind hem which took me far too long and incurred too many puncture wounds... I'm just disappointed by the fit, but I will go back and make some alterations because I freaking love this fabric and I really don't want this to be another project that gets flung into the back of my closet and ignored.
Please, your comments and criticisms are more than welcome, especially if you have any idea how to tackle the alterations. Have any of you made this pattern, and how did you find it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013 08:19:01 AM »

Oh, I remember seeing that fabric! It's so cute! Congrats on the zipper and those seams! They look great!

I'm sorry the dress doesn't fit right. I shy away (read: avoid like the plague) following patterns because whatever drafting system is used for nearly all of them seems to be the exact opposite of what fits me in most places (but I do quite well in stores...) My favorite fitting method is to put it on inside out and stand in front of a full-length mirror while a helper or, if I have to, yours truly, pins the item in question so it fits. Then off it comes to be sewn right (chalk or another marking tool can be used help the sewing process along if needed). When I can't rope someone into helping and doing the pinning myself won't work, I use the old measure-me-or-a-similar-item-that-fits-and-mark-the-garment-needing-altering method. Or just lay the good item on top of the wayward one and chalk around it.

I hope all turns out well! (ps- great post title!)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013 08:19:28 AM by Calabaza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013 11:53:06 AM »

that fabric is incredible.  The dress looks great, I hope you are able to make the fit work better for you. 

I have also experienced having to ruin perfectly lined up (And matched) seams to get a project to fit.  Good luck. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
gouda day to you

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013 10:37:41 AM »

I LOVE this! It is very well finished and the fabric is wonderful! I hope you post pictures of the re-fitted product  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so."
-Douglas Adams

My brand new shop: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/MissLolaGetz
Feel free to stop by, say Hi and let me know what you think!
charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013 06:40:40 PM »

So, I finally stopped sulking and went back to make some alterations. I'm still not 100% happy with how it lays through the hip, but it's wearable. I took the waist in 6 inches...

It looks a little puckered and pulled on the dress form but I think that's wear it's gripping the fabric cover of the mannequin. It sits rather well on me.

I added a zipper pull too, as I nearly put my shoulder out trying to reach back and zip myself in when I was fitting it... I think it's rather cute...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gouda day to you

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013 10:57:46 PM »

The alteration appears to have been a success! I love the zipper pull  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so."
-Douglas Adams

My brand new shop: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/MissLolaGetz
Feel free to stop by, say Hi and let me know what you think!
dustyfro
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013 12:53:36 PM »

If you don't like the way the seams line up, you could add a solid black ribbon or wide belt over the top of the seam to break it up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Pastel Lip Tutorial
Can Nail Art Be Sophisticated?
3 New Mascaras to Try
Miss Pop Gives Us a Glitter Nail Tutorial
Kat Von D Makeup Recalled From Sephora
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...