A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chair cushion covers, silky red and gold chinese dragon fabric  (Read 1516 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sylwa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 25, 2013 09:27:05 PM »

Hiya, a long time ago I bought this set of chair cushion covers in my local thrift store thinking it's a great fabric and I will totally use it for something. Well it's been 3 years now and I can't look at it any longer. I need to make something from it. I have 6 covers total, the fabric is on the heavier side. Ideas? I was thinking a purse but I am not really much of a purse person

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dfabbric

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013 11:02:21 PM »

You could make Fabric cushions? lol just joking. Since it's home decor fabric, that's where you have to look. I have made aprons with thicker home decor fabric, but maybe a stool cover, curtains, place mats, pillows, fabric boxes, basket lining. You could make a bag for something specific, like a camera bag, or a craft bag to take your crafts on the go. Toys can be made with pretty much any fabric. The design looks nice for a skirt, but it's hard to tell if that would work or not. You could do a remote pouch that hangs on the arm rest of your couch, Ipad case, or any machine case (cell, laptop, DS, etc). You could cut it into strips and make a crochet or braided rug. Okay I think I'm tapped out for now. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013 09:35:11 AM »

My first thought was of a purse - specifically, this one

http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/blog/pdf-files/free-purse-pattern-noriko-handbag

Or making it into gift bags.  My second thought was to use a more plain contrasting fabric and make it into a throw or light quilt.  Or place mats.  Then I wondered how it would look as trim for light shades or something like that.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013 12:23:31 PM »

It's a shame onyxnox that the pattern is no longer available. I thought purse too and that is a lovely bag.

Otherwise, you could quilt pieces together for a background and make a beautiful wall hanging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Onyxnox

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013 01:07:12 PM »

It is actually pretty easy - the pattern is a tear drop shape that is cut straight across the top, and comes to a bit of a point down on the bottom.  Cut 4 pieces in one fabric in this shape, and cut 4 more in a liner fabric.  Make a couple of straps.  Sew the long sides, down to the point, with the good sides facing in for each set of 4.  For the liner, leave 3 inches on one side seam unsewn for turning the bag out.  The straps are fairly small and thin, essentially a couple of strips of fabric sewn good sides together, turned right side out, and sewn down the sides.  Take your liner bag and outside bag, fold two opposing sides, in so that the other sides can lie flat (you hopefully can see what I mean in the link pics) and iron flat.  On each of the flat sides of the bag, I usually use the outside facing surface, place the straps in a U shape, so that the bottom of the U is towards the bottom of the bag, and the raw ends of the strap are just extending past the top edge and sew the ends in place, one strap on either side.    Place the liner inside the outside bag, so that right sides are together are together, flat sides together, with the handles sandwiched carefully between.  Sew the top edges of the two pieces together.  Through the 3 inch opening in the seam, and turn the bag out.  You may need to iron again to set everything.  Sew up the opening on the inside stitch, and edge stitch the top edge.  If you want a closure, then when putting the straps in, also add an elastic loop or ribbon loop the same way on one side, and sew a button on the opposite surface.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Sylwa

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013 07:15:53 PM »

ohh thank you for all those suggestions! I will make placemats and maybe the handbag, I found the pattern for it here http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/4//3939/3939191_noriko34752669.pdf

and I am thinking a skirt for my daughter if I have left over. The fabric should work for a skirt, it's not tht heavy weight I think.

I was also thinking about making some teesha moore patches and make a journal. Or some hanging baskets.
Too bad I dont have more of it. You ladies gave me all these good ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013 05:20:04 PM »

Glad you found it - it is an easy and fun pattern, and is cute - it makes great little gift bags too, and I was thinking of making some for Christmas treat bags one year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013 05:35:48 PM »

I would use this as art - it would be a very good focal point

Buy 6 cheap canvas frames and hot glue or staple gun the fabric to cover.
Glue or use iron on to put a black fabric (felt?) image(s) on it - like a vase silhouette,
70's style flowers in a corner clustered, a mustache, a dog/cat shape.
Group them three in a row.

You could make like a triptych where an image continues
through all 3 canvases...like a moving bicycle or car!

Instead of making 6, make 3 and use the other 3 as coordinating throw pillows
Use a different fabric for the pillow backs, so you can flip them over occasionally

I'm envious, hope you have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Polymer Clay Pendant
How to buy an Engagement Ring - Part 5
How to buy an Engagement Ring - Part 2
How to Buy an Engagement Ring - Part 4
How to Buy an Engagement Ring - Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...