A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sequin goldfish costume  (Read 1437 times)
Tags for this thread: goldfish , fish , burning_man  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 25, 2013 05:27:41 PM »

I always have a great time wearing my goldfish costume! The inspiration for this costume came from the copper paillette fabric I used on the center panel.

Each element of the costume is separate, so that it can be easily adapted to different temperatures and concepts. The stretchy base fabrics give me full range of motion, and I can sit comfortably without damaging the tail fins. The leotard has pressed snaps at the crotch, elastic contouring at the bust line, and a center back seam to flatter my booty.

Most of these photos were taken at Burning Man 2012 by Blake Gardner: http://www.blakegardner.net/

For the leotard I used a lycra thats printed with a metallic sequin designI love the bizarre faux sequin concept. The scale panels on the front and back are the copper sequin fabric that inspired everything. For an organic psychedelic look, I added individual scales on the edges of the panels and scattered throughout the panels themselves. The tail fins are layers of organza with pipe cleaners acting as supports. I really wanted the tail to stand up more, and I could always add a couple strands of fishing line (!) running from the tail to the back.

In front of our art car, the Sensatron, at Burning Man:

I love these weird arm fins! They are made out of a plastic netting that I manipulated into the shapes I wanted. Theyre lots of fun to squeeze, and I keep calling them polyps.

I used plastic Xmas ornaments and a few clear buttons strung on a clear elastic for the bubble necklace. The gloves are lycra triangles with organza ruffles. I also made a bubbly drawstring bag out of organza, which I filled with little vinyl fishies to hand out as treats.

I used a damaged metallic lycra for the leggings, but the silver streaks were perfect for this project. I used purple and blue organzas to make the bubbles and the trails on the back of the legs, something to simulate water as I danced.

hat:

I think the fin helmet is my favorite part. For the base, I used a felt helmet from the craft store. I covered the felt in my sequin lycra, then hot-glued scales made out of different gold fabrics, papers, buttons, coins, and a few round mirrors. The fin is 4 layers of poly organza supported by metallic pipe cleaners, with sequin and metallic trims sewn on as veins. The pipe cleaner supports are anchored through tiny holes into the helmet, and then glued in place.

With our camp on the art car:

More pictures and words on my website: http://madebyjulianne.com/?p=3145
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013 09:28:57 AM »

What a wonderfully funky costume! I love those bubbles, having them both around your neck and up your legs is great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Andromeda007
In between the lines there's a lot of obscurity; I'm not inclined to resign to maturity...

Everything's shiny, Cap'n!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014 10:09:10 PM »

This is fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest

Current Swaps:

--------------------------
*PM for personal swaps!*
DeviSaya
Horror Illustrator and Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014 04:36:52 PM »

Fantastically unique costume idea. And oddly punk rock looking. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Vivid Image
How to Get a Strong Foreground Image
How to Photograph a Fast Car in Motion
How to Set the White Balance Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Timer Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...