A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,527
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Insanely Easy Needle Case (w/ pics) & tutorial  (Read 3719 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazycatladymel
« on: July 03, 2005 09:00:07 PM »

I made 3 needle cases today. Two were so easy that I even impressed myself (I am totally a novice sewer), and I wanted to share!

Using a "reversible" placemat (Target, $2.09 -- to save on assembling & finishing time), a quarter flat from JoAnne's ($1.49 -- could be free if you had matching fabric laying around), and a bit of ribbon:

I figured that I would fold up the bottom ("short" end) up to be the first pocket and insert material for the second pocket. I folded the bottom up, and a couple inches down on the top (to hold needles in place), and ironed the creases. Then I folded the flat to the height I wanted the 2d pocket to be, and ironed it flat, cut it to size, then sewed straight across the fold. You can add interfacing in that layer (I did for one, not the other), or fold the flat into thirds for extra support.

Then I assembled it all and pinned it in place:

I sewed up the sides first, to keep the fabric straight, and then sewed the channels. The red & pink one has an applique on the front, so the front pocket is wider, but I sewed 2 channels into the second pocket. Also pictured (fuzzily) is a set of stitch markers I made for my friend (too bad you can't see the David charm better!).

Finally, I sewed some ribbon onto the inside edge of the "front," and it's good to go!

The third one I made from scratch, so it's a little messier, but it's fun too:

Lessons learned:
I made most of the channels too wide. A couple of wide ones are needed for bigger needles, but I should have measured first. On my own case, at least, the first pocket is too short for DPNs, which is a bummer, but I'll remember that for next time! To fix it, I'm going to try & sew a wide ribbon across a few of the channels, at the midpoint of the DPNs.

ETA: Added "tutorial" to subject line, b/c I guess that's kind of what it turned out to be.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005 06:31:45 AM by crazycatladymel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lottchen
No thanks, I only smoke on weekends

so crafty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005 09:05:18 PM »

It's just so insanely nifty! I love it!
Nice work!
And of course, I'm such a sucker for polka-dots...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunday best
crazycatladymel
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005 09:09:40 PM »

Thanks! I like the dots too, and would have used them for the outside, but I figured that much white = trouble (does for me anyway). So, nice surprise of polka dots inside instead! That was all they had on sale at Target, so it was an easy pick. I had a lot of fun picking out the contrasting panel for the second pocket. Very tough decisions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandatoryfun
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005 09:16:51 PM »

cool! i wish i could make one that didn't require sewing.....bah. it's not that i don't know how to sew, it's just that i find it incredibly tedious (and the finished product incredibly sloppy) if i'm not using a sewing machine. damn and blast my lack of patience!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hyz
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005 09:19:40 PM »

Ahh, great. I've been meaning to make myself one of these and you've given me some great ideas. The fabric you chose is really cute, too! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- hyz
crazycatladymel
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005 09:21:12 PM »

cool! i wish i could make one that didn't require sewing.....bah. it's not that i don't know how to sew, it's just that i find it incredibly tedious (and the finished product incredibly sloppy) if i'm not using a sewing machine. damn and blast my lack of patience!

That's why I started w/ placemats! Of course, it helps that I have a brand new sewing machine, but I can't sew straight to save my life. And the thought of either using binding tape or doing something else for all those pretty edges was something I can't face too often. But I get that sewing isn't for everyone. I'm sticking to rectangular things, mostly (just like my knitting).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darcangel
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005 09:45:54 PM »

WHOOOOOOA where did you get the fabric with the skull on it?!?! TARGET?!?

i can't remember where i saw this, i just saved the picture because i liked it.

isn't that weird? it's so similar, but it's definately a different thing.

please please let me know. thank you!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005 11:43:22 PM by darcangel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I already made like an infinite of those at scout camp..." -Napoleon Dynamite
crazycatladymel
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005 05:37:07 AM »

I saw that too! And I made a pillow first (see this thread for pic & details) for a friend, and loved it so much that I made myself one and then continued the theme with my needle case.

I made an applique out of a rubber stamp image I have, by stamping it and scanning it at a high resolution. Then I can print it out onto inkjet-friendly fabric and sew it to whatever I want. The pillow you posted is from here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SylvChezPlum
Knitting and crocheting in France

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005 05:43:35 AM »

OMG !! I sooo love those !!! And the fabric you chose are just the best !!! You should sell them!

Would you be interested by a trade ? (see my "yarn for swap corner" in the sidebar of my blog). I think I REALLY need one (or more), they're just too awesome !!!! Please PM me if you do.

sylvie
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005 06:01:23 AM by prunille » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patterns & free Patterns: ChezPlum - Blog - Etsy -
Rav - Craftsy
crazycatladymel
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005 06:20:50 PM »

Tiny update: My friend (who got the pink & red case w/ turtle) LOVED her giftie! She's a new knitter and this is her first accessory. Oh, and I tucked the easy MaryJane pattern inside, b/c she was looking for a simple slipper pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Saint Jude Film
T.C. Boyle on Incorporating Environmentalism in Art
Looking Under the Surface of a Renoir Masterpiece
‘I Am 8-Bit’ Art Show Opening 2008
The Comics Run: Justice League Number 6
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...