A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Waterproof or Rust Proof Chain?  (Read 2066 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Geege
« on: January 23, 2013 12:07:57 PM »

I'm new here and I have scoured the internet for an answer but I have come up empty handed.

I'm making an outdoor project and I need wire, chain, or cable and jump rings that are rust proof but in standard jewelry gauges.
Any suggestions? I don't want to work with heavy galvanized steel chain or whatever from Home Depot. I would like the delicate look of jewelry chain with the rust resistance.

Please help me!!!
Thanks,
Geege
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013 11:50:01 PM »

Don't use galvanized- it comes with a pretty nasty zinc coating that is a pain to deal with.

As for jump rings/wire, you can look for aluminum- over time it will get a funky coating, so anodized aluminum is preferable.  Also stainless steel holds up well.  If you don't mind a patina over time, copper is an option.  Otherwise you can go with brass.
http://theringlord.com/cart/ sells cool chainmaille supplies both wire and rings.  They do carry a variety of materials like those I listed above, and they come in pretty much whatever gauge they want.

What sort of thing are you going to make?  Give me a little more description and I might be able to line you out a bit more.  Smiley

If it doesn't have to be gorgeous, you can look for a thin gauge of aircraft cable.  That lasts really well, and is super strong.  You can do a lot with it, with only a few special tools - bolt cutters and some crimpers.

Depending on what it is, you can find some different ball chains or other chain made for hanging light fixtures.  Some of it is quite nice looking.  They can be found at Home Depot or your local small hardware store.  (Go to one of the small local ones and describe what you want, they can usually help out WAY more than the box stores.)  Basically things that are OK in plumbing, or light fixtures made or damp locations should work!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear a Wig
How to Get the Best Hairdressing Products
Stephanie’s Makeover with Shantal Dupon - Part 1/2
Stephanie’s Makeover with Shantal Dupon – Part 2/2
Salon Owner and Stylist Tips with Fabio Sementilli
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...