A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
812 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: To Wash or Not to Wash  (Read 641 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ladystingray
« on: January 16, 2013 10:34:18 PM »

Hi, I've never finished a quilt before though I've made countless blocks. So, here's the deal. A few years ago I made my first quilt top (basic squares) but I forgot to wash the fabric before cutting and sewing the pieces together. It has been hanging in my closet for some time and I finally bought fabric for the backing. All the fabric, including the top, is 100% cotton quilting fabric. Should I wash the backing before attaching it to the top? Should I wash the top pieced together? I really don't want to rip the seams, wash the pieces, and then resew the thing. I'm hoping someone more experienced will know what to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cholyknight
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013 01:18:44 PM »

If it were me I would gently handwash the quilt top and hang it up to air dry. You could wash the backing regularly with a washing machine so then both the top and bottom would be preshrunk.

But I've always heard you could also leave both the top and backing unwashed. Then wash the quilt when the quilt's all finished and sewn together. The fabric will shrink a little bit, but it will only have a slightly puckered look that many people think looks homey and cozy.

I hope that helps! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website for free tutorials! Sew Desu Ne?
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013 12:21:27 AM »

I never pre-wash my fabric. It's personal choice, but with unwashed fabric, after you quilt and wash and dry it, it gets a lovely wrinkly texture that I like. It also is very forgiving regarding any puckers or issues from the quilting.

If you don't pre-wash, it's a good idea to put some Color Catchers in the first time you wash it in case any of your fabric bleeds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013 07:52:34 AM »

i used to prewash everything, then i got super lazy. ( tho i like nothing more than seeing a line of fat quarters fluttering on the line in summer) now some stash is washed. some isnt.  since i make scrappy quilts mostly. i haven't found any issues. most cotton of my battings dont get pre-washed. so. i figured stuff will shrink or not as its wont. im not gonna worry about it. Smiley

personal choice.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
cmoore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013 06:30:15 AM »

Depends on the colour. Will the backing colour bleed all over the quilt? Then you probably will want to wash it. Otherwise you don't really have to, and it's better not to if you haven't washed the fabric you used to make the top yet. If they are washed for the first time together (as a finished quilt), any shrinkage will happen more evenly. Absolutely do not rip it apart to wash it!

I usually don't wash unless it's a red and white quilt or a hand dyed fabric or something. I quilt, zigzag the edges shut and then wash the entire quilt. Once it has been dried and washed, I can see any unusual behaviour and trim it to square before adding the binding. That said, I hate doing binding so I have a few quilts that still only have zigzagging on their edges after years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shaving Myths You Need to Stop Believing
Lose 5 Pounds in 5 Seconds With Sexy Contoured Cheekbones!
Five Tips to Stop Acne Breakouts This Fall
Mermaid Makeup Tutorial Part 2
Best Ways To Update Your Skin Regimen For The Fall
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Favorite Vegan Recipes
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...