A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trying to turn this large seashell into a ring box -- how to make it open?  (Read 830 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bird catbird
« on: December 31, 2012 02:31:59 PM »

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum, I am a beginner crafter I suppose, it sort of just happened after getting sober about 6 months ago. I love to use foam and crazy glue, and I like to paint wood, rocks, and seashells.

My lover friend is a scuba diver and found this gigantic seashell under the water with both pieces intact. I want to turn it into a sort of functioning ring box so I can pop a special question when we go on vacation together. I have uploaded a couple pictures so you can see, there is a bit of an opening in the back whe I might be able to attach some sort of hinge. The only problem is it will need to allow a bit of "give" for the part of the shell that juts out to at least be able to open it 90 degrees.

It closes pretty well but there is still a large gap all the way around. I may leave that as is and just ensure the ring is secure, but I am also imagining possibly attaching a zipper so that I can zip the shell shut. So my questions are

Any advice on a type of hinge I can buy or construct to make this shell open 90 degrees and close?

Any advice on attaching a zipper around the mouth of the shell?

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showgallery.php?ppuser=313245&cat=500

The link above is to the pictures, this is y first time using crafts tear so please let me know if you can see them or not

Thanks so much,

Birdcat

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012 02:52:32 PM »

If you intend to line the inside of the shell then the easiest way I can think of would be to make a fabric hinge: a piece of fabric/ribbon/tape, glued to both sides of the shell, if you choose carefully, the fabric will give a little to accommodate the jutting out bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013 01:25:54 PM »

I was thinking a fabric hinge as well. That would probably be the easiest and would let you maintain the natural beauty of the shell. I would worry about gluing a zipper on as it might cause damage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013 09:45:48 AM »

I've seen similar shells made into boxes, they're really cute. 
They usually run a small brass U channel around the outside of each shell, then solder on a hinge and a clasp.  You could probably use the copper tape used by stained glass artists instead of the U channel.

another option would be to drill holes at the hinge end and thread ribbon or cord to make a hinge.  You could drill more holes at the wide end and tie the shell closed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Free Jewellery Making Book
How to Make Jewellery
Making your own Jewellery, Make Bead Earrings
Jewelry Making
Jewellery Making Ideas
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...