I have wanted to try metal etching for quite a while, and last week I decided that I HAD to try it soon. So, I went out got some ferric chloride and then sat and stared at it, slightly afraid, for a few days. Over the weekend I got my nerve up and tried it.
I had three different metals all of which should have worked (read "should have" twice). I used sharpie pens as the resist on all three and then after reading multiple websites I made floats out of some styrofoam and duct tape and went for it.
After twenty minutes, nothing. So I set the timer for another 15 minutes. I went in and knew immediately that there was a problem with one of them, but I will return to that in just a minute...
I am pretty pleased with the first two though!
This one is a dandelion - the little heart at the bottom turned out a little different than I expected, it looks broken which was not my intent, but it is interesting...
This one is my daughter's initial - it will probably be made into a bookmark since she isn't likely to wear it as a necklace.
So, I said I would return to the problem one. I walked in and it was bubbling and giving off a lot of heat. I grabbed it, ran around in circles, and finally got it outside. The reaction stopped sometime overnight (I am sure that the freezing weather didn't hurt).
Obviously, the metal was not pure and it reacted poorly with the etching solution. I still have not gotten the nerve up to deal with the mess! (the whole thing will probably be put into a bag with baking powder to neutralize it and then taken to a hazardous waste facility). Lesson learned - and now passed on to you - make sure you know exactly what the metal is that you are using!
While the disaster has me a bit leery I am pleased with the other two for first attempts. I will try again!!