A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Healthy Eats-Along 2013  (Read 11054 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2013 11:44:32 PM »

Yum! Did the hubby like it? Or more for you?

I was stuck at the airport today so made up a two week healthy dinner plan menu! I do so much better with a plan Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2013 02:47:38 PM »

The hubby really liked it! The way the tofu is prepared (kind of smooshed in little bits and then scrambled) makes the texture really similar to ground chicken.

What are some of the things on your meal plan, Mare??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2013 07:47:45 PM »

Nothing too complicated, but trying to cook one night and use the leftovers in another way the next night. Buy a rotisserie chicken, make tacos with it the next night. Have hamburger patties with boiled potatoes one night, brinner the next night by turning the leftover boiled potatoes into hash browns. Making some easy things like soup and salad, or soup and corn bread, and making sure to have a salad and/or veggies at every meal.

I've heard and read a lot lately about how good homemade broths/stock are for joint health, so I am going to try to make a few each week, I am always trying to help control my RA.

Some of our veggie sides for this week and next week--Asian slaw, "fried" cabbage n apples, cauliflower mash, roasted broccoli, sauteed mixed fresh veggies and mushrooms, something with edamame.

I am also going to go back to making carb/veggie mixed dishes that are heavy on the veggies, light on the carbs. So for a batch of fried rice, I might use 3-4 cups veggies, 1/2 a cup meat, and 1 cup rice. Ditto with pasta dishes, I found a recipe recently that used pureed cauliflower in the mac and cheese sauce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2013 07:51:31 PM »

Seems like a good plan! How's it going so far? I'm not very good about using leftovers. I've been trying to halve recipes lately so it's just enough for 2 people to have 1 meal. I've also been freezing leftovers when I can. I always feel sick about throwing food away!

How do you do your Asian slaw?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2013 09:02:28 PM »

Cooking for 2 is definitely a challenge! It's nice when the bf is over, cooking for 3 is a lot better, plus I can usually send food home with him for lunch the next day. I'll also pack a lunch for my mom of leftovers sometimes.

I've already had to be flexible with my schedule, since my mom cooked a chicken last night, so I didn't want to buy a rotisserie chicken today. I made the Asian slaw and we ate it with the leftover chicken from last night.

We like to buy an Asian slaw kit from Costco, it's a pretty good price, but when we don't make it out there I buy either plain slaw mix (no dressing) and/or broccoli slaw mix, and/or cabbage that I slice myself. Slivered almonds, chow mein noodles, bottle Light Asian Sesame dressing, sliced green onions, and chopped cilantro are what I use for toppings. Tonight I chopped 1/3 of the head of cabbage, mixed with 1/2 a small bag of broccoli slaw, added the cilantro and green onion, and lightly dressed in our covered salad bowl. That will be good for about 2 days, slaw is ok IMO to pre-dress. Then we can measure and add our crunchies to each serving. The chow mein noodles are something like 65 calories for 1/4 cup, and you really probably only need 2 T, so not bad calorie-wise!

Lime, do you watch the Next Food Network Star? One of the contestants this year is doing semi-vegetarian, or "meat on the side." She might have some good ideas that would work for you and hubby!

Tomorrow I'm actually using up a bag of kale I forgot I had so that it doesn't go bad, so again deviating from my plan Cheesy I have frozen homemade sweet potato gnocchi in the freezer, so doing gnocchi with kale and mushrooms for me and the bf. Mom isn't a fan of that so she'll scrounge something else up (probably more chicken and slaw).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2013 09:54:47 AM »

Do you guys know about Epicure? It's all natural spice blends for making dips and sauces. We had a party the other day and a friend who sells it gave me access to her stash and all I can say is YUM! The french onion dip mix is on my shopping list, the kids gobbled up platters of raw veggies with that (and I can make my own yogurt for that too so yay! Healthy!). Today I've got a big salad with her dressing mix on it, lots of lentils I sprouted and some homemade hummus from sprouted and lightly cooked chickpeas. Delish! The only thing about taking salad to work for lunch is that it takes forever to eat it all. I don't mind since it's tasty and crunchy and yum but man, I'm sitting here chewing and chewing and chewing, lol...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2013 07:44:54 PM »

Lime, do you watch the Next Food Network Star? One of the contestants this year is doing semi-vegetarian, or "meat on the side." She might have some good ideas that would work for you and hubby!

How neat! I haven't been watching it but I'm going to check it out. I'd love to see a healthy vegetarian show on the Food Network. I'd watch the heck out of it.

clm - I haven't heard of Epicure. Is it kind of like Pampered Chef or Tupperware parties?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2013 03:20:56 PM »

I don't know if they do parties but I've seen them at craft shows and the like. Good stuff, very nummy.

I am having a bout of IBS that really sucks, I have to be super careful what I eat right now 'cause almost all of it gives me a terrible bubbly tummy. I started tincturing some bitters a couple months ago that are finally finished so I'm going to be sure to have them before every meal. I can buy prepared bitters of course but that gets pricey when you need them for every bite of food, ugh. Not that this wasn't pricey, I used high end brandy for my tincture. But I got a lot, 2 large mason jars. And it's potent stuff, woo. Eating will be an extremely simple affair until I get this back in hand Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2013 03:34:30 PM »

Oh bummer! What are you still able to eat?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2013 04:46:55 PM »

One thing at a time Tongue. Lettuce is ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Rid of Nail Stains
Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2014 - Backstage with Pat McGrath and Guido Palau
Katy Perry Makeup Tutorial
How to Conceal Dark Circles
5 Ways to Hide Your Flu Face
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...