A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer-y Backless Cami (Tute Added)  (Read 3187 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 03, 2005 05:10:28 PM »

So I must admit... I am a fabric whore. Roll Eyes Even if there is only the tinyest scrap of fabric, if I see potential in it, its mine! The result is I have overflowing boxes of fabric all over my room, much to the dismay of my fiance, who has taken to just kicking the boxes out of the way.
Anyway, a few months ago we had a bunch of fabric donated to the fashion department at my school, and I collected several scraps of floral country looking stuff with the intention of making it into a purse or skirt or something. However, there was this really cute Volcom Stone tank top we carry at the retail store I work at that I wanted, but I didn't like the label that was so ungraciously stamped on half of the shirt. It was ridiculously overpriced for something that I could make on my own, so I made it on my own.
Front

Back

I used the donated fabric and no pattern but I really like how it turned out. I think I might make another one out of the rest of the scraps I have laying around....

Thanks for checking it out!

And here's a tute for those of you that are interested or have requested....

Cut out the pieces shown above from your fabric. I got lucky with my first shirt in that the scraps were already as wide as I needed them. Basically, fold your fabric in half and make it wide enough to be as modest as you please. The back piece is only and inch shorter when folded than the front piece. (Im talking about top to bottom width)
Using a tight fitting shirt as a guide, the bodice piece should be 5/8 of an inch longer than the side seams on your shirt, (which you should wear to do this, it has to fit tight enough that it will hold up on its own. The back bodice piece then can be pinned to this a fitted as tight as you need it (REMEMBER TO LEAVE YOURSELF A LITTLE BREATHING ROOM FOR STITCH AND BOTCH IF NEED BE)
Fold your bodice piece in half as shown above, right sides together and sew into a tube, turning to the right side. Repeat with the back piece.
You should now have two pieces that look like this:

Iron your tubes flat so that the seam sits right under what you want to be the inside top of the garment.
Take your front bodice piece and right down the middle, gather the fabric just a little bit. You can do this more or less accurately as you choose. I just pinched two or three two-inch sections of the fabric and then flattend the pinches, then holding them in place with my fingers I ran the middle through the machine to secure it. Make sure to leave an inch of flat fabric at the bottom of your gather onto which you will sew the waist piece in a moment.

This makes a pretty little gather at the front of the bodice. If you want to put a ribbon or something over the stitching this is the time to do it, wrap your ribbon around the gather but dont let it pinch the bodice even more and sew or iron on your chosen embellishment.

Add a one inch shaped dart to each side of your front piece. This should make it so that the front piece and the back piece match up. Now sew your front bodice piece to your back bodice piece, making sure you have a little room to breath but the bodice should fit pretty snug.

This is what you should have now:

(Forgive my crude computer drawing abilities, what you have should look way cuter at this point.)

Now hem one side of your waist pieces like so:

Wrap the long piece around you so that the hemmed side comes right to the middle of your spine and the unhemmed side is at your left side seam just below your boobage area. Take the remaining waist piece and do the same. This piece will cover the remaining left side of your back. When you are satisfied with the fit (the top of the waist piece should be snug) sew the unhemmed edges together and trim any remaining undesired fabric. Tack the hemmed edges together. Now you should have something that looks like this:

Now sew the bodice piece to the waist piece matching up the middle of the back (the slot I guess you could call it) to the middle of the back of the bodice piece.

You can make straps with remaining fabric or ribbon if you please. If you make bias straps, wet them down and stretch them out, letting them dry stretched out on a bulletin board or something before you attach them. (This prevents your straps from stretching out and falling over your shoulders after youve attached them)

And voila! You have a summery little top!

Any questions... just ask!  Kiss
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009 11:30:03 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sporkx71

Like anything I made? http://sporkx71.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005 05:27:07 PM »

cute!! would you mind explaining how you made it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like anything I've made? BUY it here: http://sporkx71.etsy.com
supastarrr110

GHETTO FABULOUS MEETS SEWiiNG!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005 05:29:55 PM »

wow i luv it. especially how the designs...mesh Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not gonna spit on you because i have more class than that. I am, however, going to b!tch slap you!"-New York, FLAVOR OF LOVE
JuliaDarling
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005 06:36:03 PM »

that is seriously cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allie-loki
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005 06:53:01 AM »

haha. this is so weird. i worked in a skateshop for years and always thought Volcom tops were overpriced (even with the 40% discount!). not so strange? ok well how about the fact that this top is the exact model i decided to make for myself...
still havent gotten around to doing it yet. i hope mine turns out as nice as yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005 07:50:45 AM »

That's hilarious, although I don't exactly work in a skate shop. I  guess it would be considered more of a surf shop, even though its located in the mountains, three hours from any surfing to be had....
Good luck with your top... most likely it will be better quality than anything volcom cooks up...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...