A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
333 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WIP finally done..started in 1988!  (Read 4063 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 21, 2013 01:01:22 PM »

I started this quilt in 1988, when I first moved from home and was living in London,  my sister in law was working as a gopher in Norman Hartnells couture house (one of the queens dressmakers) she brought me a bag of scraps, that was what got the quilt started...so some of these might be off cuts from the queens frocks... Smiley

I am aware as I type this, that some of you reading won't have been born when I started this quilt. But tonight I finally finished it. The individual squares were sewn over a period of about a year or so...then there was a break and I added more squares...then time elapsed....a lot of time...eventually I sewed them all together...then more time elapsed, I made a quilt sandwich and started to quilt...mega fail, with puckers and all sorts of bad things...so I ripped the top from the back and then more time elapsed (are you seeing a pattern yet?)...then on the 13 quilts in 13 years thread, someone suggested a challenge to finish your oldest WIP, so I decided to give this one last go. I didn't think it would be done this time, as the deadline was the end of jan, and I had my daughters 18 birthday party and a lot of work commitments.

One of the reasons this didn't get done in recent years was because I don't actually like this so much any more. My tastes have gone from log cabin to more contemporary styles...plus the sewing is AWFUL!>..there are so many missed bits, frayed bits and nothing lines up! so much has happened since I started it.

I got my degree, MSc and Phd.
I got married and divorced.
I had a daughter (who turned 18 yesterday)
I moved from london, back to Ireland, then to australia, then back to Ireland.
This quilt has moved house ten times (it didn't come to australia with me, it lived in a shed for three years while I did)
I've bought 4 houses and sold two (negative equity is  bitch!), bought three cars and sold two, visited 22 countries
I have had too many heartbreaks, I have had wonderful times, great experiences, made wonderful friends... and just life stuff really.

I honestly was starting to wonder if it would ever get done, but then I had a brainwave the other day. I had this old quilt that I bought years ago in a charity shop, lovely fabric, but torn and worn beyond repair.

the two sandwiched together, with the torn patchwork in the middle

so I thought that I would combine the two, It went OK, the top of the quilt was done with such slapdash gusto, that it didn't really lie flat, so I didn't do too much quilting, just enough to hold the the layers together, and this time with no puckering...then to my horror I realised that I had missed a rip on the back...arrgh...and far too lazy to start again, I made another square for the back to cover up the rip. The dates embroidered in the centre of the patch..and bound in a plain dark blue binding

...followed by a happy dance...the beast is finally done!!

and despite the fact that I don't think that there is one beautiful piece of fabric in this, not one single piece of new fabric, everything was old, second hand, scrap or salvaged from clothing....there is not one regular, even square...and the quality of the stitching is so poor...given all of that.....it actually looks well now that it is done.

I pieced the top, during one of the most emotionally painful times in my life...so I am reluctant to sleep under it...so I am going to put it on the guest bed for now...

I am just happy that it is done...

and a final gratuitous shot..
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013 03:02:28 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013 01:15:54 PM »

Great finish edel! Go you! Woot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013 01:19:16 PM »

thanks to you and the challenge MareMare...otherwise it would still be languishing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013 01:47:37 PM »

What a great story - you gave that quilt such a personality!  Congrats on getting it done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowari
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013 02:55:26 PM »

Congratulations on finally finishing it!!! I know you don't want to sleep under it, but I hope you keep it- I've always felt that the best handmade stuff is made from {literal} pieces of your history. Good or bad, those are pieces of your life, all stitched together!

And it's made from the Queen's scraps... how cool is that?!

And it just looks good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013 05:12:23 PM »

What a great story - that quilt was "meant to be" - congratulations on checking a HUGE project off your list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
GlassKicker

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013 05:46:07 PM »

How inspiring!  Thank you for sharing the story behind this fabulous work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyangler
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013 06:34:55 PM »

The second quilt I ever made was a string quilt, similar to yours. As I finished the piecing, all I could see were its flaws. When I got it back from the quilter today it was beautiful. Perfect for my state of mind and progress as a quilter. I see beyond the flaws and the literal blood, sweat and tears that soaked into it. I love it, whether that be in spite of its flaws or because of them. And I love myself just a little bit differently for having the courage to begin.

If you see any comfort or similarity in our situations, I hope it helps and that someday you'll sleep under your quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013 09:23:53 PM »

Congrats on the finish!  You two have quite a history, don't you?  Wink  I'll bet you have a satisfied and triumphant feeling since it represents so much more than pieced fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013 12:16:35 PM »

Congratulations on finally finishing it!!! I know you don't want to sleep under it, but I hope you keep it- I've always felt that the best handmade stuff is made from {literal} pieces of your history. Good or bad, those are pieces of your life, all stitched together!

And it's made from the Queen's scraps... how cool is that?!

And it just looks good!

thanks for that, I have kept it, I don't think I could part with it, given that it has so much of my history as you said...

The second quilt I ever made was a string quilt, similar to yours. As I finished the piecing, all I could see were its flaws. When I got it back from the quilter today it was beautiful. Perfect for my state of mind and progress as a quilter. I see beyond the flaws and the literal blood, sweat and tears that soaked into it. I love it, whether that be in spite of its flaws or because of them. And I love myself just a little bit differently for having the courage to begin.

If you see any comfort or similarity in our situations, I hope it helps and that someday you'll sleep under your quilt.

this is beautiful and yes, I do see all of the emotion that went into it ...thanks...and I love what you said 'i love myself a bit differently for having the courage to begin'...that is beautiful..

Congrats on the finish!  You two have quite a history, don't you?  Wink  I'll bet you have a satisfied and triumphant feeling since it represents so much more than pieced fabric.

oh I am so proud of finishing it...I suspect that it finishing just after my daughters birthday is also not a coincidence...that was another finish of sorts...

thank you for your lovely commments
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jason Mattera Reveals His Favorite Movie
Zebrafish Book Trailer
Ellen Crosby Talks About The Viognier Vendetta
Meet Media Personality Tavis Smiley
Sarah Beth Durst Talks About Enchanted Ivy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...