A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Block Swap Round 3 (Sign Ups Closed, Send Outs April 20)  (Read 17646 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donniesgirl
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2013 05:48:50 PM »

Of course!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllaRain
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2013 10:45:33 PM »

OK I am going to join  Cheesy.  I found a block that I really like.  I am just not sure about the colors.  I kind of want to just let everyone pick the colors so I get a many colored quilt, but I am a little bit worried that if I do not put any "theme" down that the colors might end up clashing. Do those of you have done this before, or are more color savvy then I am, have suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
carolmb
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

50 Projects 2014 List total 9/24

Making things, makes life happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2013 01:27:22 AM »

EllaRain: You can always bring it together with the sashing or the boarder you pick, or just pick the background color and let your group pick the other colors in the block. They have been done lots of ways LOL

last round I left the color totally open to the partner in my groups, I wanted a totally scrappy looking sampler.

well and wonderment
carol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2013 05:11:05 AM »

You could always give a style of color, then they shouldn't clash really. Like pale, darks, pastels, jewel tones, warm, cold... When it comes to jewel tones, even clashing colors tend to be amazing Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
donniesgirl
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2013 10:22:55 AM »

I agree with Melladh & carolmb - you can put guidance on it if you're worried about not matching or you can just go totally scrappy sampler style.  

Last round I did a Christmas quilt, so I said red, green, white, and gold and figured they'd all go together Christmas-style even if they weren't all Christmas fabric or the same shades.  This round, I'm going to say white and blue for one group and white and yellow for another group.  I figure that even if they're different shades, the blues and yellows will coordinate and the whites will tie it together.  Another person in this swap picked brights and someone else put jewel tones, to kind of keep the colors together.  Another person put 1930s prints, and those tend to be in a certain color spectrum.  Last round sloth actually sent a link to a painting and asked people to work within those shades of blue and gray.  The first round, I sent a link to a comforter which had colors I liked (but I didn't like the style of it) and asked for wonky log cabins in those tones with white center squares to help tie it together.  

Depending on the block you pick, you could say that a certain part of it is going to be a certain color.   Like pinwheels in any color with a white background or log cabins with a center yellow block...or someone in this swap picked bookcase blocks with a black background (to help tie it together).

Check out the round 2 gallery (toward the end) to see how some of the blocks ended up looking together.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013 10:31:09 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllaRain
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2013 11:35:56 AM »

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I think I kind of knew what I wanted but did not think adjectives like "happy colors" would be sufficient.  I love the idea of using a link to a painting to show what I am thinking.  Turning in my questionnaire now.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
donniesgirl
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2013 12:03:10 PM »

Ooh that IS a pretty design...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2013 12:18:37 PM »

After an exhaustingly long but fun day at the craft fair, I've got two new inch rulers (one handy 12.5" square), batiques, Japanese fabrics, and a mini iron Cheesy now I just have to fret about the fabrics I lost my chance to get that I'll need for my partners but won't know until next week! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
danynn
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2013 08:19:32 AM »

Well if you all wouldn't mind the grouping, I can set things up that way...It is 2 in Canada and 1 in Sweden - everyone else is US at this point.

If I'm one of the Canadians you're referencing, I know I said in my questionnaire I'd prefer Canada or US partners, but I can swing a Swedish partner if that makes life easier for you. Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013 08:20:11 AM by danynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2013 10:49:20 AM »

I technically prefer being partnered as if everyone not otherwise specified were all internationals, but Europeans can't be choosers, and I'll be happy either way Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Oil Paint with Hall Groat
How to Oil Paint
Ambient Art - Van Gogh
Ambient Art - Sisley
Ambient Art - Seurat
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...