A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My love/hate relationship with Alpaca  (Read 1218 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rodelphia
« on: January 20, 2013 10:16:28 AM »

Hello all! I've been working on spinning up some of my alpaca roving that I have, but I'm having some problems. My yarn seems like it just wants to fall apart no matter what I do, and I didn't know if maybe some of you have had a similar issue. I love alpaca because its always so soft, but I think that might be part of why it doesn't want to stay together. This is what I have so far, its just a single thats about 12-13 wpi. I've had to tie it in a couple places where my fibers slipped apart even after I set the twist on it. Sad Help?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013 10:16:38 AM »

okay, well.  Obviously I cant say much about alpaca, since I`ve never spun it before, and wont ever spin it.  But I will say this.  Every different fibre requires a different amount of twist to make it stay together.  They all behave just slightly different when twist is added.  if it`s drifting, and not snapping, chances are you need a tad more twist.  Don`t forget that twist will pool in thin spots, and there will be less in thick spots.   that`s all I can really help with.  Hopefully Jexx or someone who has worked with lots of Alpaca will chime in and give us more information on the nature of this particular beast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rodelphia
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013 04:31:05 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Smiley I'll give putting more twist in a try. I didn't realize that the twist would pool in the thin spots, I just assumed that if I drafted out more it would be evenly distributed across the fiber. I guess I kind of understand the concept behind on-purpose thick and thin yarn now though! Learn something new every day. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013 05:10:50 PM »

Cheesy  Glad it helped a bit!   And that I was able to teach you something new!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013 10:19:55 PM »

Yeah, I don't know. It sounds to me like there's not enough twist in it either. I think the only fiber I've been able to spin as singles on my wheel has been alpaca because it seems to need more twist and I tend to overspin.

I must say, though, that hank has me drooling. I want to love on it and make socks with it so I can keep them with me at all times. Yay socks!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013 10:20:19 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Rodelphia
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013 06:19:36 AM »

lol. thanks! i've started knitting it into a pair of fingerless mittens. i was hoping the heat from dying it after i spun it would make things stick together better so i dyed it with wilton's food coloring. it didn't really help, but at least now its pretty. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013 02:43:52 PM »

Very pretty yarn!! 

I agree -- you probably need more spin.  It looks like quite a fine yarn, and maybe you didn't have it on a fast enough whorl for such a fine yarn.  I have spun singles alpaca yarns a couple of times.  I didn't have problems with it holding together, but I don't think I drafted it as fine as you did.  Also, mine was a bit overspun, but I found it didn't matter -- the alpaca yarn still felt super soft even with a bit of extra spin in it, and it drapes nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rodelphia
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013 04:36:08 PM »

I'm working on some more alpaca, you guys were all right about needing more twist. What I'm spinning now is a little thinner than this and isn't drifting like the other one was. I guess I was just worried about it not feeling as soft if I put a lot of twist into it. Thanks for all the help! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013 06:10:11 PM »

Yay!  glas its turning out well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013 10:43:53 AM »

I totally understand your love/hate relationship with alpaca ... I love the way it feels, but don't like the lack of 'memory'.  I always card a fine wool with my alpaca so I can have the best of both worlds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Hair Detox For Fuller Hair
Wig-Over With Sherri Shepherd
How to Make a Blow Out Last Three Days
Wig Makeover With Sherri Shepherd
Hair Stylist for a Day Backstage at Thakoon Fall 2013 Runway Show
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...