A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,701
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What am I doing wrong? (Stretch Magic)  (Read 751 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dhouselife
« on: January 18, 2013 08:37:23 AM »

Ok, another question. I am big into jewelry crafting lately, but this is my first project using stretch cord (stretch magic). It seems like when I go to finish bracelets the cord breaks, sending beads flying everywhere. At first I thought it was crimp beads (even tho I've seen a few projects calling for them), so I stopped using them. Then I thought maybe it was the knots breaking, but I realized it's breaking in the middle. Could I just be pulling it too tight? It just seems so fragile, if I go to put a finished bracelet on and it breaks. I also read in the instructions that you should stretch the cord before using it. I didn't really do that, but would that cause it to break so easily?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013 11:40:15 PM »

What type of beads are you using?  Are the holes abrasive? 
You might be able to use a bead reamer to sand the inside of the holes to help smooth them.

Strechie stuff can abrade on rough surfaces and end up snapping fairly fast.  It isn't super tough stuff.  Or you could have gotten an old roll of it that keeps snapping.
Try stretching it really well before stringing next time, that way you will be able to tell if it hits critical failure on its own or if it IS something caused by the beads themselves. 

If cleaning up the holes with a reamer doesn't help, and it's not the material- you might be better off using something else (like that fireline stuff) and a clasp to string this particular bracelet. Sad  It won't be stretchy, but it won't be as likely to snap. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
dhouselife
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013 05:37:02 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I tried switching to a slightly thicker version and that has helped so far. I will try reaming the beads as well. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013 04:30:28 PM »

in my experience the stretchy cord might work great and maybe, not.  I returned some once and tried out another spool before I bought it.  The store folks knew i would not buy it when the one i tested broke!  I like to use stretchy.  My mother uses stretchy most of hte time and for some really pretty bracelets.  She has never mentioned a problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
sherrirbgr
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013 11:36:41 PM »

I've found you really have to stretch it.  Not like stretch it to break it, but just give it a few good yanks to stretch it out.  Like others said, if you are using beads that are not totally smooth inside, it can snag and break.  I have successfully crimps on stretch magic, so it can be done, but everything must be smooth!  Get a small container of water, wet the reamer, and go back frequently to wet the reamer.  This works really well for me.  But forget doing semi-precious chips.  NIGHTMARE! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Sponge Texture
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Additional Layering
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Spattering Texture
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Canvas Prep and Undercoat
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Preparing a Work Space
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...