A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My DIY Wedding Decor  (Read 1963 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_decorations  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 14, 2013 02:33:49 PM »

For our wedding, I wanted a fun, quirky, crafty look.  Nothing overly fancy (we DID have our reception in the church basement).  Why the church basement for the reception?  I really liked the idea of having the ceremony and dinner in one locale.  As the Mr. wanted to wed in his childhood church, I decided to go with the basement.  Plus, it was free.  I was willing to stay up late to decorate it (with the help of my sister, a good friend, father, and father-in-law) and take it from "meh" to "ah, that's crafty!"

To show you can have a perfectly nice wedding reception sans the fanfare of fancy (and more pricey) venues, here are some pictures of the end result.  Not that I dislike fancy and more pricey receptions, they are fun to attend, but not what I wanted.  

All decorated, about 1am the day of the nuptials.   Twinkle lights from ebay (10 strings for $50!). I'd share the link, but my electrician father didn't think they are certified to be used in Canada, so I'll avoid any endorsements.  They were cheap and cheaply made (weird fusing of wires, bulbs not working), but they served their purpose.  The garland in the background is paper hearts from Martha Stewart, on sale at Wal-Mart.

The head table, featuring some sassy DIYed fleurs, inspired by Aunt Peaches's Cherry Blossom (http://www.auntpeaches.com/2012/03/friday-flowers-anns-cherry-blossoms.html) .  I used branches, coffee filters (not dyed), sand, old ribbon scraps, and reused glass jars.

My delicious cake, made by my aunt.  I made a BIRD TREE, inspired at the last minute by a tree seen on the blog A Beautiful Mess, from Abbey Hendrickson's book You Are Awesome.  I used vintage birds I had on hand, some ordered from etsy, and some from the Dollarama!  The cake knife and server are vintage and from ebay.  I posted about the peg topper here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=97.0

I also made a butterfly tree. Butterflies from Dollarama!

The guest tables alternated between white lace (plastic) tablecloths and purple (plastic) ones (from various dollar stores).   The white tables had coffee filter flowers.  I made runners by ripping a bolt of discount fabric--no hemming as I liked the rustic feel.  Paper doilies were also used.  Each table had a "Happy Couple Fact" on tiny chalkboards (about $1 each at Michaels).  Favours were chocolate chip cookies (from Costco...I even had someone request the recipe, so they were well-received) in cello bags sealed with a sticker saying out names, the date, and "Thanks for Sharing Our Special Day!"  Chocolate chip cookies are the Mr's fave.  Smiley

The purple tables  had nature-themed centre pieces Frankenstein-ed together with glass votive holders (painted and glittered, the wood paper was already on 'em), lids of the glass bottles used to house the coffee filter flowers as the bases and tops, vintage bits and bobs along with some new crafty elements, such as this fawn.  The moss pad was from Michaels.

A DIYed sign, made with cardboard letters from Wal-Mart.

One of our "Fun Facts."

Paper lanterns and tissue paper poofs were hung from the sassy caged lights, my father-in-law's idea.  It made 'em glow  and covered up the ugly fixtures.  

The gift table, with painted wooden initials and ampersand (Wal-Mart), and card basket.

I LOVED having cards hand-delievered to us throughout the reception!  SO CUTE!  ALL supplies from Dollarama.  There was about an hour between the ceremony and reception and I wanted something fun for the guests to do.  We also had some fruit trays to snack on.

A calendar for the "guest book."  People sign their birthdays! The calendar is from Dollarama.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013 02:36:23 PM by kitschbitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerfectlyBohemian
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013 03:16:20 PM »

Such a lovely wedding! I absolutely adore your woodland centerpieces <3 I am also a huge fan of the chalkboards Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bekyip
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013 03:35:11 PM »

I love all of it. Well done on making it look so beautiful.
Bek
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Helcura
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013 09:25:05 PM »

Congratulations!  What a beautiful reception!  Here's wishing you much happiness together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013 01:30:15 PM »

Thank you everyone!  Smiley  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Kept Women’s Fashion Secret: Buy Menswear
Popular Demand Founder Blake Ricciardi Talks Success of Streetwear Brand
Designer Fall Shoes You Want (and Can Actually Afford)!
Backstage at Zadig & Voltaire
Popular Demand Founder Blake Ricciardi Talks Success of Streetwear Brand
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...