A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garage Sale fabric turned maxi dress  (Read 748 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christian_cowgirlGSR
« on: January 14, 2013 10:17:15 AM »

I happened upon a garage sale selling fabric for $1/yd.  I rummaged through boxes and boxes of fabric and found several that I liked that had enough I could make larger projects.  I took them home and stuck them in my fabric stash.  Fast forward a couple of years...  It has been quite cold here (highs in the 20's *F, without wind chill..  Lows in the negative single digits at night).  I have also recently completed several projects for other people and thought that it was time to do something for myself.  I had been looking at quite a few maxi dresses recently and had decided that I wanted one.  That's when I happened upon this fabric in my stash and decided it would be perfect for a maxi dress.  I found a tutorial that looked interesting and decided to go for it.

Here's a link to the tutorial I used: http://www.sew-much-ado.com/2011/08/soho-maxi-dress-tutorial.html.  I did have to change the tutorial some to make it work for my fabric.  First of all, I used cotton instead of knit fabric.  That in and of itself didn't require much change, but my fabric was only 40" wide, while the tutorial called for 60" wide fabric.  So,  I ended up having to use twice the length of fabric to make up for the lack of width.   Other than that, I followed the tutorial fairly closely, maybe almost too closely.  For the front of the dress, the tutorial shows a picture of a cami being laid on the fabric, with the fold of the cami on the opposite side as the fold of the fabric and then cutting the fabric.  I did this only to realize that I would then be matching the front center of the dress with the sides of the back.  I ended up modifying the "front" and making it the back because of this.  Overall, I think the dress turned out really well.  I really like the length.  In the pictures, I am wearing boots with ~1" heels.  The dress just barely touches the floor. 

I was running really short on time with this dress as I started it at about 2:30 pm on a Saturday afternoon and wanted to wear it to church the following morning.  I realized when I was nearly done with the dress (after I'd serged the seams) that I had wanted to add pockets.  That was at about 10pm Saturday night.  I am NOT a night owl, so I was pretty tired by that point.  I decided that I'd wear the dress as it was and add pockets later.   At the garage sale, I bought 4 yards of this fabric for $1/yd.  I used all but about a foot of the fabric, so this is my $4 dress!  Despite the lack of pockets, I really like the dress and would love to hear your comments/critiques!

My hubby's version of a close-up:   Grin

Side view:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SissysSewingAndSuch
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013 11:35:35 AM »

Not bad for a $4 maxidress. And by "Not Bad" I mean AMAZING.

I'd suggest patch pockets, if it weren't such a bold plaid, to save on the seam-ripping.

Great job matching the stripes (if I'm looking at the side view right.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
christian_cowgirlGSR
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013 11:40:59 AM »

Thank you for your kind words!  It is interesting that you compliment me on matching stripes as I did not do that on purpose.   I just cut the pieces and sewed according to the directions.  I didn't fussy-cut anything to match stripes.  It just worked out that way.   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SissysSewingAndSuch
SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013 02:45:19 PM »

Good job! You're very talented, I have yet to make anything that I would wear in public! lol You look great in the dress too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy and Quick Glamour Tips for the Holidays
The Best Beauty Products for Under £10
How to Get a Quick and Easy Friday Night Makeup Look
How to Get Glam Crystal Eye Makeup
Holiday Beauty Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...