A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: culottes pattern or how to make/alter pattern?  (Read 5320 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

collidoscope
« on: January 13, 2013 10:06:27 PM »

I've been thinking about making a skirt - I know shorter ones look better on me but I get really embarrassed when there's a wind blowing and I'm carrying something and don't have my hands free to hold my skirt down.  So I started looking at culottes (feeling a little bit sceptical about finding nice looking ones) and came across these:

http://www.retrotogo.com/2011/06/high-waisted-culottes-from-lipsy.html  - I think these look quite classy - people might mistake them for a skirt if they're not paying much attention (and hopefully would swish a bit like a skirt when walking).

http://www.ioffer.com/i/women-s-girls-ladays-dressy-shorts-culottes-skirt-black-520461013#  - I don't think these are technically culottes - more like a skirt with shorts sewn in - but I quite like the idea.

I've been searching for culottes patterns but haven't found any like the first one - if anyone can point me to a similar pattern that'd be really helpful.  If not, does anyone have any ideas how I could got about making them by altering another (shorts or culottes) pattern?

As for the second link - I was thinking I could look for a skirt pattern (not sure if this would be an A-line skirt?) and boxer shorts pattern to modify - I figure they mainly just need to line up so the shorts don't show at the bottom and will join at the bottom of the waist band.  Also hoping someone knows what that pleated looking fabric is that is used in the skirt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013 10:30:11 PM »

so for the 2nd one - it looks like the under layer would just be some really loose shorts (boxers pattern should do fine) with ruffle attatched at the leg, and if you look close at the picture, the ruffle from the shorts layer actually sticks out underneath the skirt layer. the skirt layer looks like its just a normal gathered skirt, like the kind where you just make a really long rectangle and gather it a ton at the top. and the brown one looks like the fabric might be pleated on its own (no idea what that's called) but the other colors look like they're just a thin fabric that's really tightly gathered. and then you would attatch the 2 layers with a single waistband like if you were making a layered skirt.

as for the first one, that totally looks like a skirt so if you make one i definately want to see pics. what i would think to do is make a really wide legged short and then pleat the top of the shorts into the waistband so each leg is its own mini a-line skirt, if that makes sense. and make sure the waistband goes down further than normal shorts would because that's going to give it more of a skirt feel.

i say get some cheap fabric and start experimenting and let us know how it works out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013 10:33:10 PM »

also, have you looked into making a skort? i don't know how old you are but they were all the rage when i was in middle school, its basicly shorts with a flap over the front to make it look like a skirt from the front, they're pretty easy to make, i have a pattern for them i could scan the directions for you if your interested in going that route cuz i'm not sure if they make patterns for them anymore
THIS ROCKS   Logged

collidoscope
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013 11:45:44 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts on this project Ivory.   Smiley  I've been thinking about it a lot and scouring the internet and came up with these tutorials which I think might help:

http://greenerbeginnings.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/culotte-tutorial.html

http://petitmainsauvage.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/and-now-for-something-completely.html  <--- the design, the tutorial --->  http://petitmainsauvage.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/those-culottes-tutorial.html

I actually quite like the design for the second tutorial - although can picture it more with a lower waist and with a fabric of a darker colour and lighter weight.  I think I'll try that as another project.  It's great to have so many projects in mind to try out.  The main thing that is going to hold me back is I'm completely new to waistbands and having to sew in zippers so it might take me a while to get any traction with these projects.  I do have a heap of calico on hand though so keen to just jump in and get started trying things out.

Oh yeah, on the skorts topic - I googled them (hadn't heard of them before) and decided its not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sabin Willett on the Inspiration Behind Abide With Me
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Better Sleep
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Improving Your Sex Life
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips for Reducing Stress
Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted by Jennifer Armstrong
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...