A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Doctor Who scarf is finished!  (Read 710 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: January 13, 2013 05:42:55 PM »

Anyway, all I know is that my scarf is complete, in all it's crocheted, patched and mismatched glory. I started it in mid-November. The crocheting has been completed for awhile, but I just completed the patches this evening. Right now, I am just about ready to watch Tom Baker's final episode as the Doctor, so I guess it's appropriate that I'm finished with the scarf.

I used the original scarf pattern, found at http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/pdf/original.pdf. Even though the true scarves were knit, these patterns show rows and colors, so it was easy to work it as a series of single crocheted rows. I made it with a G sized hook, 40 sc wide.  My foundation row was actually 41 sc wide, which equals 8 inches wide and roughly 19 feet long.

I purposely did not go crazy in trying to match the colors perfectly. I didn't want to get bogged down with this project. I wanted to enjoy it and just kind of take it as it all came. In fact, there were a couple colors of yarn that I didn't have enough to complete the scarf, so I added in another yarn of a similar color each time. To me, it just made me think the Doctor would approve. I'm pretty sure this is a complete list of the yarn I used.

-1 skein of SignatuR Handknits, 8 Ply Pure Wool in color #630 for the camel (love this yarn's texture and thickness. I actually preferred this camel yarn more.)
-1 skein of Plymouth Yarn Encore in color #6002 for more of the camel (75% acrylic, 25% wool)
-1 skein of SignatuR Handknits, 8 Ply Pure Wool of navy blue as a substitute for the grey. I had the blue and a lot of the scarves I saw online seemed to have a slate blue color instead of the grey anyway.
-About 3/4 skein of Caron Wintuk in Deep Crimson in color #3048 (100% acrylic) for the rust (I thought I was using a different yarn for the red, but I just found the label of the yarn I was actually using.)
-1 skein of SignatuR Handknits, 8 Ply Pure Wool in color #645 for the green (see a trend here yet?)
-1 skein of American Thread Aunt Lydia's Heavy Rug Yarn in Moss, color #291 (75% rayon, 25% cotton), for more of the green, but like the yellow, this was a stringy bulky weight yarn, so I actually separated it as I used it.
-2-3 skeins of Trendsetter Yarns Marino VIII in color #335 (merino wool) for the purple (a very nice plum color, but I can't remember how much I used anymore)
-2 skeins of Helio in color #3727 (100% Norwegian wool) for the bronze
-1 skein of Lion Brand Baby's First in color #157 (Honey Bee) for the mustard, but this was a stringy bulky weight yarn, so I actually separated it as I used it. (I like the label on this yarn. It has a ruler on both edges, in centimeters and inches, which makes for a convenient quick ruler.)

There are a few rows that are actually one row longer than what the pattern called for, because I wanted all of my color changes to take place on the same side. And there are a few big chunks of color that aren't as long as the pattern called for, because I either started to run out of a yarn or I was getting sick of working on that color.

Each tassel has a piece of each color yarn. To determine the length of the tassels, I doubled the width of the scarf.

The patches came from a plaid curtain from my mom a few years ago. It was too long for the room I hung it in, so I cut it to cafe curtain length and kept the rest. I tried using some iron on fusing first to help the patches stick, but it wasn't taking. I think it  was just old, so I originally whipped stitched some of the patches on by hand. I didn't like how messy that looked, so I got out the trusty seam ripper and removed them, and I ended up sewing them on with my machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013 05:55:27 PM »

Wow!
Wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013 08:37:22 PM »

Wowzer! What an accomplishment! Congratulations Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 5 Bad Beauty Habits to Break
Top 10 Ways to Reorganize Your Life
DIY Organic Face Mask
Jennifer Lawrence Golden Globes Makeup Tutorial
DIY Collagen-Boosting Eye Cream
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...