A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DeCoUpAgE dECoR  (Read 13590 times)
Tags for this thread: asian , decoupage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

khill

I got an itchin' to do some craftin' MOJO-JOJO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2004 01:57:39 PM »

where do you guys get your decoupage art from? i'm looking for vintage styles so the magazines would be too modern looking. any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k.hill

Urban Eclectic
www.urbaneclectic.net

Eclectic Design Studio
www.eclecticdesignstudio.net
d_oubt

Go Banana, GO!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2004 04:15:50 PM »

Decoupage art can be found in many places

The first place I would check is the local library. Often times they have very old editions of magazines and newspapers - old New York Times adds are great. As well as early Ladies Home Journals. The advertising is from another world. You can make copies, I like the graininess of a good ol black and white xerox machine, but if you are going for a cleaner look, color copies will cost ya a little more, but look more professional.

also, check for older botanical drawing books, these often have very elegant, pen and ink drawings of flowers in a victorian style. these be found again at a library, or at an antique book dealer. if the antique book shop is too expensive, oftentimes reproductions were made, although those will still cost you a pretty penny.

one time at Borders, i was lucky enough to come across a reproduction book of victorian food illustrations on clearance! you should see some of the pig and meat drawings there are.

some old cookbooks have nice victorian food drawings in them. christmas cards often have nice illustrations.

personally i take my decoupage art from anywhere I can find it - labels, wrappers, garbage, photocopies, books at yardsales, textbooks, scientific magazines, technical drawing books, children's books, art postcards - pretty much any scrap of paper I get my hands on. I especially love finding ambiguous handwritten notes, or drawings people have done.

It's nice because there aren't really any rules to it either, so it's impossible to ruin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
khill

I got an itchin' to do some craftin' MOJO-JOJO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2004 04:26:49 PM »

i've never decoupaged before but it seems like so much fun. i want to make something small to start, but useful. i want to practice before i take on my "ultimate" decoupage project, an unfinished wooden dresser drawer leftover from college now sitting in my mother's garage!

great ideas for resource materials, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k.hill

Urban Eclectic
www.urbaneclectic.net

Eclectic Design Studio
www.eclecticdesignstudio.net
honorhappy
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2004 08:19:15 PM »

Okay, I know it's been said you can decoupage everything to everything but I was wondering if that would apply to a shower curtain as well...I'm doing a retro them in my bathroom and wanted to decoupage some pics to my shower curtain but was worried about the constant dampness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2004 10:02:15 PM »

I'm doing a retro them in my bathroom and wanted to decoupage some pics to my shower curtain but was worried about the constant dampness.

Yeah the dampness might cause some issues... here's an idea though. What if you made a vinyl shower curtain (or bought one) and sewed clear vinyl pockets on it. Then you could slip laminated pictures into the pockets. With that method you can even change which pics you had in the pockets as your decorating plan changes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
sheeshoo
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2004 12:55:49 PM »

Lightswitch plates and outlet covers are really easy to decoupage. This is a cheap and easy way to add some interest to a room, and can be changed back if you are renting and will need to move.

Reuse your current plate or buy the cheapest plastic ones at Home Depot/Lowes. Just give the plastic plate a light sanding before you start and you should be able to decoupage with no problem.

I like using mulberry papers and other papers with a lot of fibre in them and layering them (this also works well on glass). On this plate (which looks better in person than in the photo) I also added a gold leaf skeleton that I got from the scrapbook area at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. The scrapbook section actualy has lots of good papers and cutouts to use for decoupage projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nuno930
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2004 10:34:14 AM »

Would something thicker... say cardboard still decoupage well?  Actually I am specifically  thinking imagines from a Kleenex box onto a table.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twilight
Craftista

Aren't we all lamas really...on the inside?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2004 10:49:56 PM »

I'm hooked on decoupage! My latest projects have been containers for pens, cat treats and crochet hooks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's just a ride."-Bill Hicks
My crafting blog: http://twilightkallisti.com/
Twitter: @TwilightChaos
sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2004 08:12:45 PM »

i love doing that to lightswitch plates...yours looks so classy though...hehe...love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
Nekussa

Who invented liquid soap and why?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2004 06:30:13 PM »

I've been lurking for a while now and thought it was about time I said hello...

erm....hello  Grin

I'm interested in decoupaging some cheapy dollar store notebooks but does anyone know how to get a crackle effect that won't flake off too easily? I want it to look antique but of course still be functional.

Thanks.

P.S. Crafters kicks a$$
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Myths About Children and Their Parents Debunked
Susanna Kearsley on The Royal York
Loudmouth by Craig Carton
The Roberts Court by Marcia Coyle
Author Patricia Beard Discusses a Certain Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...