A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,801
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DeCoUpAgE dECoR  (Read 13143 times)
Tags for this thread: asian , decoupage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2003 05:45:53 PM »

I loooooove decoupage!
I enjoy a good clip art fix!
Here are some samples!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2003 04:11:07 PM by firehead4 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
SunCrush

I love the 80's!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003 05:49:38 PM »

Very cute.  I'm doing something right now with decoupage with mini frames, i'm gonna glue them together in different layouts and have victorian and other pictures althrough out them.  Will post picture when I am done.  Smiley  Very Nice Work by the Way!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003 07:11:31 PM »

I love to decoupage - what a satisfying craft!  I dig the stuff you've done.  I have a question though - can you easily decoupage a photo album book cover?  I use one with slots for 4x6 photo as my cookbook (just print my favorite recipes on notecards and stick them in the slots) but I want to jazz up the cover.  It looks like vinyl, but it's kinda squishy.  Easily deoupaged?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003 07:52:38 AM »

ok - so i have never used modge podge question --- i heard it never dries really - it stays tacki - so i am making a cigar box purse right now and used acrylic paint and stuck my image on top of the wet paint - i want to seal the box with a glossy finish - but i want it to be durable, clean to touch, nice looking - if modge podge is tacki and wont work what do I use to seal it???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firehead4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003 10:29:50 AM »

I have only been dippin' into my mod podge recently, but my USUAL technique involves using any kind of craft glue (white or clear) to adhere the image, followed by a GLOSS or SATIN interior varnish (i prefer Delta Ceramcoat) as the sealer.  2-3 coats and you're good to go.
Mod podge is really just glue.  You can use it to adhere images and seal them.  It's probably on the stickier side, but it DOES dry.  It's just stickier is all.  You could water it down if you want.  The varnish is very light and sheer and dries quickly.  Play around with each kind and see what your preference is.
Oh, and I do think you could easily decoupage a vinyl album cover.  The great thing about decoupage is how many place you can stick an image!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow Me at...
divasteph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003 10:55:58 AM »

so i should just use a varnish - in gloss or matte and you prefer delta creamcoat.... now i know delta cc makes acrylic paints - but varnish??? is it in the same craft aisle normally as their paints - will i find it in the craft aisle at super walmart???
is it as cheap as thier paints ---- around $.50???

thanks for the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firehead4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003 08:04:42 PM »

I find Delta cc at JoAnn and, believe it or not, Menard's.  The varnish is usually at the bottom of the acrylic display.  they make a 2 fl. oz and an 8 fl oz (they might have discont'd the larger size, but don't quote me on that).  They are a few bucks more than the acrylic colors, but they are by no means expensive, and they go a long way.  I always choose gloss or satin, b/c i prefer a shinier surface.  use matte if you don't care for the glare (hey i like how that sounds!)
happy varnishing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow Me at...
GirlScoutRiot

Please don't eat the government cheese...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003 01:44:24 PM »

Steph, I like to use modpodge for my cigar box purses and switchplate covers because it gives you a thick, glossy look, and it covers the edges of the stickers/photos/whatever you're using to decorate the item with. However, it can stay tacky for a long time (found that out when a bunch of switchplates turned into a switchplate loaf...) so I'd recommend a couple of coats of acrylic gloss spray on the top after it all dries. And don't pull a Melissa and try to store freshly modpodged items by stacking them... Ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie...
divasteph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2003 02:44:11 PM »

i found the delta varnish - and i really like it - it's not too smelly - goes on smooth, etc - it was also like $1.89 at michael's which i love - only prob is looks so similar to my delta white paint that one of the first times i used it i picked up the paint instead and brushed white paint on something i was trying to deco - i had to quickly wipe it - off -
ugh
xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thewalrusisme
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003 07:39:56 AM »

First off, HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE! one of the things im thankful for is this kick a$$ forum and its great advice and inspiring ideas.. Kiss

anyways, I was wondering.. im going to decopauge for the first time... a neat little cabinet from the goodwill
anyways... people say to use glue that'll dry clear for putting the images down..
im a rubber cement addict... will that work ok? do u have to be careful what type of primer, glue and sealer u use? so that they are compatible and don't get all bubbly and stuff?

thanks..
peace!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
To Frack or Not To Frack: Russell Gold
The Sound by Sarah Alderson
The Science of What Makes Things Funny
This Side of Salvation by Jeri Smith-Ready
The Rise of Jazz Age Manhattan
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...