A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book of Resolutions - 2013  (Read 769 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melissaurus
« on: January 12, 2013 07:49:19 PM »

So in November I proposed an idea for an OWL with the Harry Potter Craftalong's Winter Semester. It was to be a 'zine. I got the paper cut, had the designs all planned, and then I started to draw and this is what happened...

It turned in to something completely different. With New Years rolling around, it really got me looking at my own life, my goals, and where I wanted to go. I worked through Chris Guillebeau's Annual Review and really enjoyed it. Looking back on the year past, I worked out areas of my life I wanted to improve, with big, general goals that are always so hard to achieve. Things like "accept my inner nerd" and "Make my blog awesome"...it needed a bit more defining. So! That zine turned in to a book of goals. Lovely, easy, do-able goals that I could look at and check off easily, or at least aspire towards.

I left some pages blank so I could add goals as the year goes on. Flexible is what I was aiming for, so the whole book isn't really...neat. I wanted to embrace imperfection and really just get a book made that could come along for the ride with me, without me worrying about it getting damaged and scrumpled.

The pages are sewn in signatures, with a sewing machine stitch down the middle of each set. I also added tabs to the sides of each book - there are 3 different colours, each one representing a daily, weekly, or monthly thing to do. I can flip to them fairly easily and keep on track.

But of course, I couldn't stop there. Each category had between 8 -15 goals (or a few more if I was feeling ambitious). I didn't want to simply tear out each page as I finished it, nor did I want to just leave a big check mark. I wanted to SEE my progress. So here's what I did: I leafed through magazines and cut out circles of interesting patterns and pictures. Each circle represents a 'medal' of sorts. An achievement I can display and proudly show (so far, the few that I've managed to complete have been going inside a mason jar I look at every morning. Cheesy It feels great). I made super big medals at the end of each 'section' so that if I complete all the goals, I get bragging rights and a righteous medal. Tongue Channelling my inner third-grader this year. It seems to be working quite well.

So the zine took on a new form - a wonderful book that I can carry with me and keep track of my goals. It's not quite what I had planned (okay - it really, really wasn't what I had planned) but I'm quite proud of it! IF you want a bit more of a backstory, there's some more about it on my blog. I'm hopefully going to document working through them (tonight - I'm making yogurt. One of the goals in my "Health and Movement" section.) so stay tuned, and thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013 08:56:16 PM »

Outside the sirens are blaring, but I needed to read this word for word as this is the best post so far this year. The time and effort show and I hope you reach all of these goals. I admire such a spirit, and hope people will not just scroll past but read the entire  post and commentl

I couldn't care less which craftalong when we get craftsters to share the how and  the why.

Love this and will follow with great anticipation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013 05:53:53 AM »

This is so super duper awesome.  I love everything about it, including the fact that it started its life as a zine.  And the medals.  A sense of accomplishment is so important in staying motivated.  What a great idea!

Inspiring, beautiful, awesome (again)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013 07:50:02 AM »

LOVE!  Such an inspiring post and amazing work!  Well done Melissaurus!  Now off to rock! Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftica
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013 09:42:37 AM »

It is really awsome project, I love it and I love your post. It needs a courage to wright down goals and then track them, usually we like to somehow forget new year's decision.

My blog: http://nest2rest.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melissaurus
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013 10:50:30 AM »

Wow everyone, thanks so much! I'm happy you guys find it inspiring - I really enjoy sharing it.

Smiley I'll keep you all posted on the jar's progress as it fills up with lovely achievements. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Job Writing Reviews
How to Get Your Work Published
How to Write a Haiku
John Kenney Talks About Truth in Advertising
Paul Yoon on the Inspiration for Snow Hunters
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...