A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,390
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Cherry Blossom Baby Blanket  (Read 11601 times)
Tags for this thread: blanket , cherry_blossom , flower , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2013  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AliciaAdalaide
« on: January 11, 2013 03:09:07 PM »

This is my first time posting a completed project on Craftster, so hopefully I'm doing it correctly. (All of the links to the patterns that I used or was inspired by are at the bottom of this page for reference)

I did start this blanket following a pattern. I only got as far as the base of the pattern before I ran into trouble - I couldn't figure out how to make the crocheted tulips. Thankfully, I'd made about five million crocheted butterflies a year earlier and a friend suggested I sew the butterflies onto the blanket. However, I realized that if I cut the antenna off, they actually looked like flowers. Which made me feel a little less like a rebel. So, that's how the cherry blossom blanket came to be.

Once I decided to use the upcylced flowers, I had to figure out how to make a branch. Side Note, that's actually how I found Craftster. I searched for Cherry Blossom Crochet - although I didn't find a pattern, I did find a very cute laptop bag and this site. Anyway, I ended up improvising with a vine pattern and basically stared at a picture of a cherry blossom tree on my bedroom wall, while I crocheted the branch. Trying to fashion branches going out of branches on two sides without wandering off the blanket... ugh. I can't tell you how many times during this process I wondered if maybe I should have tried a little harder to learn how to make a crochet tulip.

Finally, the flowers. I sewed...and sewed.. and sewed. It took me six weeks to sew the flowers on this blanket. I worked on it every single day for at least 8 hours a day. I hated it and loved it, and when it was done I have to admit I was very sad. I don't know if i'll ever make something like this again on my own. In the end I think it was worth all of the work. I am happy with the blanket and I'm like that I made something that a good friend's daughter will hopefully treasure for years.

Please let me know if you would like any information, or if I left anything out. I would love to connect with fellow crafters and share ideas!

This blanket inspired me to create a blog. (of course) http://craftyadalaide.com/willows-cherry-blossom-blanket/
Tulip Baby Blanket Pattern (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tulip-baby-blanket)
Butterfly Pattern http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-crochet-butterfly.html
Cherry Blossom Laptop Sleeve http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=352749.0
Vine Pattern:http://storiedyarns.blogspot.com/2011/10/free-crochet-pattern-vine-garland.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013 06:25:02 AM by AliciaAdalaide » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Balatong
Tutorial Contributor

chain, chain, chain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013 04:31:16 PM »

This is amazing! Thank you for all the links, and welcome to Craftster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013 04:55:11 PM »

This is beautiful and again, welcome to CRAFTSTER. I don't think I've ever seen anything put together so well. Excellent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
AliciaAdalaide
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013 05:06:20 PM »

Thank you both so much!!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013 05:11:57 PM by AliciaAdalaide » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013 07:32:08 PM »

This is really beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013 02:00:58 AM »

I'm sorry it cost you so much time and effort but it is truly beautiful. A work of art. I like it so much better than the original tulip version
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013 02:15:05 AM »

what a beautiful blanket, well done  Smiley I prefer your cherry blossom version to the original tulips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
PaperBeau
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013 11:56:49 AM »

Really gorgeous blanket! And such a creative spin on the origional design, love it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013 01:13:58 PM »

Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Huskyd
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013 01:50:58 PM »

this is beautiful well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
United States in Style: New Mexico
5 Ways To Wear A White Dress After Labor Day
Fashions To Help Your Kids Rock The New School Year
How to Wear Sheer Fashions This Fall
New Technology To Fight Against Fake Goods
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...