A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toddler's Texas Longhorns asymmetrical-arm-stripe jacket from McCall's 4220  (Read 539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bbonnn
I'm holding in my hand a box of small chocolate bunnies.

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2013 01:47:46 PM »

This pattern, McCall's 4220, has been in my stash for a while. I finally made a version for a friend's daughter, who joins us when we watch Texas Longhorns games.

The pattern is out of print, apparently. So much for this being a useful review/demo of current offerings, heh. Anyway, if you stumble upon it, I recommend the following modifications:

• Overall, pattern was designed for polar fleece, so it leaves many edges raw (unhemmed). I hate that look, so I added hems wherever they were lacking.
  • Add a placket to avoid having raw edges where the buttons close. To do this, extend the "center" line on the pattern front piece by 5/8" (seam allowance). Then cut out a rectangle of broadcloth as long as the jacket front, and about 3" wide. Add lightweight fusible interfacing. Serge one edge, and sew the other edge along the jacket center front, wrong sides together. Fold over, topstitch the placket to the jacket front (wrong sides together). TL;DR - make a placket.
  • The hood calls for the "wrong side" of the fabric to be folded over and visible on the "right side." I think this is because they assume you're using a faux shearling type fabric, where the fuzzy side is the "wrong side" so it's ornamental when folded over to the "right side" of the hood. Since I wasn't using shearling, I just folded the edge of the hood to the "wrong side" (opposite of the directions - beware this step!)
  • Folded both pieces of seam allowance to one side, and topstitched at every step. Just a fun detail that makes it look more "athletic"/"professional."

Other modifications (just for completeness, not necessarily recommended)
  • White bias tape line details on sleeves. Made 'em asymmetrical because you can get away with more "fun" in kidswear.
  • White fleece Longhorn applique on back. Left the raw edges exposed - hey, it's fleece.

If I had it to do over, my advice for future makers of this pattern:

• Polar fleece is terribly thick to be making pockets out of. And you can't really iron precise folds, so the bottom curves turned out kind of clunky. Consider keeping the pocket concept (because, kids!) but make them a different kind. Maybe an interior pocket - jetted, bound, single-welt, etc.
  • Make the arm stripes MORE asymmetrical, or just make them symmetrical. The asymmetry is not obvious, and to me it looks like it could be a mistake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fudpen10
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013 03:53:02 AM »

Lovely jacket. Shame it's out of print. I'm just about to make something similar for my children.  I know what you mean about leaving raw edges. Even if it doesn't fray, it still feels unfinished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog: http://www.timetocraft.co.uk
ravelry: knittedandpurled
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Finishing Touches
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Customizing with Shears
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Cut with Clippers
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Set Up Guidelines
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...