A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1860s Ballgown  (Read 7258 times)
Tags for this thread: hoop_skirt , corset , featured_project , category_featured_project , ball_gown  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Forteisbest
« on: January 10, 2013 01:18:51 PM »

So I've been working on this for a good two years now, and I've finally finished.  I was definitely not ready to start it when I did, I didn't even know how to attach piping (and I had to make it), nor did I know how to fit things properly.  Also I couldn't sew a straight line.  But I started, and finished.  Woo!  And here, have pictures.  You can't see my face, shh. Grin  I'll use my mannequin later, so it looks...better.  But right now my mannequin has been corseted so long it's almost disfigured, so I'm letting it breathe. Tongue

Just so you all can see it in the thumbnail, as per kindly suggestions from kindly folks. Wink

The Chemise and Pantaloons.  Very billowy.  And Plain.  I didn't take the effort to trim the chemise, because I need to make a new one anyways.  Mine isn't an Evening Chemise, so it's too high up on my neck, and shows above the top of my gown.  But hey, I learned how to gather with this.  Or rather, I perfected it.

The Pantaloons have trim.  Pink bows. <3  But scandalous, I'm showing ankles! :O

The Corset.  It's a cotton one, so it's not very strong.  I've no desire to suffocate myself, and the weaker fabric encourages me not to cinch it too tightly.  Also, I ran out of time, and I'm going to make a new one later.  A longer one.  Longer corsets are aways better.

Another Corset shot.  They're Slimming. Cheesy

The Hoops.  I made them, I didn't order them.  So much straight-line-boning stitching, oof.  But they're lovely.  I wanted huge ones, they have a little over a 200" circumference.  Can't get them that swoopy on the internet. Cheesy

The Petticoat.  I gathered those two ruffles by hand.  So much ruffling.  But I wanted to be sure the bones of the hoop didn't show through the skirt of the ballgown.  I'm not a lampshade.

Finally!  The Ballgown!  Again!  It's got a bit of psychedelic wall in the corner, ignore that.  It took me three attempts to make that bodice, since I had no idea what I was doing.  First time, my stitched lines weren't straight.  Second time, the bodice point in front was crooked.  This time, it's close enough. Tongue  Also, I can't lift my arms.  I don't know how they danced.

Sleeve detail, just because.  Altogether, the whole thing with underpinnings weighs a little over ten pounds.  So heavy.  But I love it. Cheesy

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013 07:40:50 PM by Forteisbest » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harvey

Here's to inappropriate!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013 01:26:01 PM »

Very cool. Cool I know what you mean about the weight, I made the Kaylee Shindig dress for my daughter. The colours are great! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013 02:07:32 PM »

Wow.. Intense! So i don't have any clue on the era clothing, the chemise and pantaloon is also part of the ball gown to go together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013 02:14:10 PM »

Wow this is absolutely incredible!  What patterns did you use?  You should be so freaking proud!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013 02:31:18 PM »

OMG!!!!! You did such a fantastic job that I cant believe you didnt know what you were doing. That dress is epic! GREAT JOB!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013 02:59:58 PM »

I think your dress is BEAUTIFUL!!!!  I LOVE that style!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013 03:07:20 PM »

Impressive amount of work and beautiful result!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Forteisbest
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013 03:13:02 PM »

Thanks, you-all.  You're fabulous. Cheesy

tinybits--  Without the proper "underpinnings," our modern selves aren't the right shape.  The dress would look weird.  So the chemise and pantaloons and all are part of the ballgown.  By my standards. XD

Aislynn-- Oh, so many patterns. Tongue  And they were all out-of-prints (except the actual ball gown) from various internet sources.  For chemise, pantaloons, and hoopskirt I used Mcalls 3609.  For my corset and petticoat I used Simplicity 5726 (Don't use Simplicity for corsets.  They're too big. By a lot).  For the actual gown, the bodice was Pastpatterns 704, and the skirt was Truly Victorian TV240.  I drew on a page what I wanted, and then found patterns to make it work.  I should have started smaller. Tongue  And thanks. Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013 03:26:44 PM »

Very beautiful ball gown, I hope you get to dance in it many times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WingsOfClay
Tutorial Contributor

I Love Craftster Swaps!

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013 07:14:42 PM »

amazing!!!

u might want to move that picture of the FINISHED outfit up to the top of the thread, so that people see that from the homepage as a thumbnail. when i clicked, i thought it was just a post about a night-gown...the final full length image of the gown blew me away!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make it, thrift it, mend it, or make-do without it!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lighting Shooting and Retouching
Photographing Autumn Leaves
How to Photograph a Scarecrow
Light Painting and Starlight Photography
The Retouching
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...