A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Fashioned Book Lovers Swap, send by Feb 26  (Read 28249 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ninaprettyballerina
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2013 12:48:06 PM »

Im currently reading my partner's book and am really getting into it!  Wink  though... hard to think of crafty things whilst the plot thickens Wink

I can't wait to see what book you have selected for me  Grin I'm especially glad I had a book on my list that is turning out to be a great read!! I am still waiting for your book to arrive - the one I picked just kept jumping out at me and giving me ideas  Cheesy
yes first few pages ( as always i find) i was finding my feet in the book - then the last 120 pages or so seemed to drift by yesterday... ( probably helps that i have lots of time to do nothing whilst here in Fiji Wink)  Ideas for your _____ keep coming Smiley
x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RougeRaven
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2013 04:45:14 PM »

I am still in the planning stages as I am wrapping up the latest OWS swap. I am starting on my projects for this swap tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2013 06:48:43 PM »

I've got everything planned out and I've got the book (hooray!).   Smiley   I'll be starting soon as I need to wrap up another item for a different swap first.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #193 on: January 31, 2013 10:08:10 AM »

I'm thinking about running a Victorian-era D&D campaign, and I want to read some books to help me get ideas/get in the mood. 

Anybody have any favorite Victorian-era novels that are either based in that time or were written then?

Okay, I know I could Google or come up with my own list, but asking book-loving Craftsters seems more fun.   Grin

In actual swap-related news, I've started on my medium. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Staar84
« Reply #194 on: January 31, 2013 03:35:13 PM »

Do you need something with battles in it, or just that period in general? And do you want to avoid steampunk or would that theme be ok?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

« Reply #195 on: January 31, 2013 04:45:55 PM »

Just in general, really.  Anything is good.  Smiley  When I thought about it further it occurred to me that steampunk would actually make for pretty neat D&D.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mthrasher138

I ♥ personal swaps!

« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2013 09:18:25 PM »

I'm thinking about running a Victorian-era D&D campaign, and I want to read some books to help me get ideas/get in the mood. 

Anybody have any favorite Victorian-era novels that are either based in that time or were written then?

Okay, I know I could Google or come up with my own list, but asking book-loving Craftsters seems more fun.   Grin

In actual swap-related news, I've started on my medium. Smiley

The Parasol Protectorate Series by Gail Carriger would be the perfect influence for a D&D campaign! It's steampunk, set in the Victorian era, and has monsters!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Staar84
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2013 10:25:49 PM »

I agree, the Parasol Protectorate series is fantastic! Boneshaker by Cherie Priest might be good too, it had zombies. Although I think it might be between the Civil War and the Victorian era. I liked the Vampire Empire series by Clay and Susan Griffith too, but that seems to be more hit and miss with people. Anything by HG Wells would be good, he wrote during that time. War of the Worlds is pretty graphic for the time. The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar (and its two sequels) might be good for this; a lot of authors and their the characters from Victorian literature are alive in the book (Sherlock and Moriarty, Captain Nemo and Jules Verne). It's an amazing book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
mthrasher138

I ♥ personal swaps!

« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2013 07:09:19 AM »

I agree, the Parasol Protectorate series is fantastic! Boneshaker by Cherie Priest might be good too, it had zombies. Although I think it might be between the Civil War and the Victorian era. I liked the Vampire Empire series by Clay and Susan Griffith too, but that seems to be more hit and miss with people. Anything by HG Wells would be good, he wrote during that time. War of the Worlds is pretty graphic for the time. The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar (and its two sequels) might be good for this; a lot of authors and their the characters from Victorian literature are alive in the book (Sherlock and Moriarty, Captain Nemo and Jules Verne). It's an amazing book.

Now I have some new books/series to add to my "to read" list! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theatreorchid
Craftssassin

« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2013 09:41:22 AM »

Thank you mthrasher138 and Staar84!   Kiss  I'm going to the library today. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw an Eagle
How to Draw a Horse
How to Draw a Crocodile
How to Draw a Dove
How to Draw a Koala
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...