A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,345
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hat-along -- 13 in '13!  (Read 18323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stillatthetop
« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2013 04:08:40 PM »

You yarn crafters are so lovely....I want to do some!!! This looks like a fun pattern. I wish I could sit in one place for a while, and learn more about what you do. The Mr. does not know what he has, but I do! What a nice job, and customizing it for him??? Give him one of these for me:  Tongue

:DJust kidding. People are all different, but so much time goes into these projects. I appreciate you.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" fabric scraps for an iSpy quilt similar to this
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
yofi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2013 11:59:40 AM »

Nice job, loveofcuteness!  That looks like a wonderfully warm hat.

#2 needles, always? I'm impressed - that takes real patience!

I've got a couple of projects on needles right now; a small shawl, a baby blanket, and a pair of fingerless gloves.  But I feel the need for another hat.

I have the pattern for The Barry  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/barry-2, but I notice in the instructions that it relies on severe blocking to shape it.  I'm cheap, and most of the yarn I have on hand is acrylic.  Nice acrylic, soft acrylic, but not very blockable acrylic.  I need to knit up a lot more of what I have before I can go buy wool, so I'm going to put that off for a month.

I think I'll get this one out of the way; http://outofthisplace.livejournal.com/221229.html a Christmas present for my Trek-loving boss.  I know I've got the yarn for it!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013 12:58:29 PM by yofi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2013 08:02:19 AM »

Yofi--I have wanted to make Spock ear hats for some time but I can't seem to find the right "flesh" color...what will you use?

Yeah--the Barry hat is quite challenging because of the severe blocking...I have had luck using KnitPicks wools...they are inexpensive, but feel luxurious and block well...

Our local Ollies just got in a HUGE shipment of acrylic yarns...I am very very tempted as I need to make more charity hats for the homeless...I think those are best out of acrylics since they will be easy to care for...is Red Heart a good yarn to use?  I think it is the brand they got in...$2.49 for a huge skein is what the advert says....

The grey hat turned out lovely...poo on hubby...perhaps you can gift it to someone else?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013 08:03:45 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

yofi

« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2013 12:32:56 PM »

I've got a small skein of a pinkish tan salmon-colored sport weight yarn I'm determined to make work for this, since I don't know what else I can use it for!

I know a lot of knitters are very scornful of Red Heart, but I've picked up some skeins that were nice and soft, while being pretty durable.  Then again, I've picked up some skeins that felt like steel wool!  I particularly like the Super Soft jumbo skeins - just be sure it's a color you don't mind seeing for a while.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2013 01:02:12 PM »

I think you just have to match the project to the yarn...and there are so many nice acrylics out there now...whatever feels great and looks nice is what I go for...salmon colored yarn...yes, that is really close to flesh...I have a yellowish tan that just does not look right...I do not want a jaundiced look... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loveofcuteness
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2013 04:13:34 PM »

Thank you everyone. Wow that Berry hat looks so good.

I have double pointed needles in size US 1, 2.5 and 4 only so I stick to knitting baby things for the time being:). The husband hat was knit using us 4 for the hat and us 2.5 for the brim. Took forever. I am knitting a baby blanket also, on large needles and it is knitting up faster than the hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loveofcuteness
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2013 04:26:25 PM »

About the acrylic yarn, I used to hate it but I have started using it here and there. The colors it comes in are lovely. My favorite of the acrylics is Bernat satin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2013 05:38:10 PM »

Red Heart used to be a quality brand for regular price. I have used it, and it seems to be a general poly. It washes up fine, as was stated for the homeless idea {bless your hearts...send me you addy, I will mail you some presents, too! Greeting cards to share? Pillow covers?...we don't even have to trade. Give it for the needy. Bless your heart!
BTW...I once lived under a bridge in the cold. If it were not for kind folks, I don't know what I would have done. Wink

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" fabric scraps for an iSpy quilt similar to this
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
yofi

« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2013 11:58:31 AM »

"Friends, Vulcans, academy cadets - lend me your ears....

...I come to clothe Spock, not to embarrass him...."

I wish I could take better photographs -- the ears are not so disproportionately large as they seem in the picture.

Turns out the salmon colored yarn was waaay too thin for this, so I decided to dye some white fingering stuff I had.  How hard could it be to get Vulcan flesh color?  I found out how hard -- and this is as close as I could get!

And the hair seems a bit long in the back to me -- perhaps this is mullet-Spock?

Still, this was a quick, fun knit, and it's going to be a novelty gift for my boss this Christmas.  I'm pleased.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013 12:06:49 PM by yofi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2013 12:41:45 PM »

oh yofi!! how fun!  What a good idea to dye your own!  I think they look good!

I think Spock actually did have a mullet at one time... ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Editing a Layout in Fireworks®
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Tracing Image
Extreme Website Makeover - New Document and Preview in Browser Preferences
Extreme Website Makeover - Setting Up the Site Definition
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Dreamweaver® Site
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...