A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gingerbread Village  (Read 2560 times)
Tags for this thread: gingerbread  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

morkai
« on: January 08, 2013 07:06:35 PM »

I really want to enter this contest, but I'm not really sure how.

I am a new member and can't upload images yet but I did upload the images to my gallery.

I also have the photos posted on my facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151252160763106&set=a.57054828105.71525.636378105&type=3&theater

My entry is of a miniature gingerbread village. There are 4 gingerbread houses and 2 kit kat houses. The gingerbread houses have cut out windows filled with melted hard candies so the tealights in the houses flickered.

The houses are all surrounded by a forest of home make tree peanut butter cups, pretzel trees and brownie trees. There are also some cake pop snowmen and a small pond.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013 09:24:12 AM by jungrrl - Reason: added picture(s) to post » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nandra
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013 11:04:03 PM »

Oh my goodness, that is adorable. I love those Kit-Kat houses, I never would have thought to use them for paneled wood - how clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
becca-red

I work to craft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013 12:01:59 AM »

I love the 3D tree's and the ducks on the pond. So many cute details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DreamyDahlia
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013 10:08:38 AM »

What a great village! I love the footprints and tire tracks in the snow. Your attention to every last detail is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Its never too late to become what you might have been.

Dreamy Dahlia blog: http://thedreamydahlia.blogspot.com/
Etsy shop: http://www.astridnicole.com
leishi25
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013 02:07:50 PM »

Nice village! This looks like a lot of work and planning, how long did it take?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leishi25
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013 02:22:49 PM »

This is a large set up, where did you display the village?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morkai
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013 04:33:27 PM »

Thank you for all the wonderful complements.

Kit Kats make great log cabins. They always smell amazing when its put together. The only problem is having enough pieces to finish a house. Some how many pieces tend to get 'damaged' and need to be eaten.

I actually did not have very long to plan and assemble the village. It was a Birthday "cake" for my cousins 10 year old and she did not decide on what she wanted until 4 days before the party. So I started planning on boxing day, and delivered on Dec 30th. I had wanted to add a couple more things but ran out of time.

As for the size, it was built on 4 11'x17' cake boards and the birthday girl and her brothers have been munching on it since the party. It was definitely a challenge to fit all the houses and base pieces in the car. It made a great centre piece for the birthday party.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tropicbird
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013 06:54:25 PM »

You are amazing! And now that you've shared the background story, I'm sure you made some kids really happy with this creation. It's so colorful and detailed. I, too, love the tracks in the snow and the kit-kat building materials. [It's too bad that so many kit-kats are unacceptable, though, not meeting the highest standards for construction---and of course they have to be "disposed of" somehow. I find the very same problem. Wink]

But I'm wondering what you would have added if you'd had a couple more days! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maytina
knitting is hot

just keep knitting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013 09:06:07 PM »

Kit Kat houses?! That's genius!

Your whole village is really awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

morkai
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013 06:28:06 AM »

What ended up missing from the village was the fondant penguin villagers and I was planning on having a remote controlled gingerbread train.

I had planned on taking the motor from a lego train and putting it in a gingerbread version and have it do loops around the village.

Instead I put a plastic train in the village for the birthday party. The kids had fun with it until it got derailed and ended up in the pond. Some how I don't think it was an accident.

It sucks that I ran out of time. The pictures with the train looks better, but they were not edible so I could not submit them in the contest. At least the birthday girl had fun with the train.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bulldog Pupcake
Coca-Cola Frosting
How to Make a Frosted Carrot Cake
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes Recipe
Semi-Homemade Spicy Chocolate Truffles Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...