A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
832 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Evil Hand of Glory (of DOOM!)  (Read 4738 times)
Tags for this thread: skeleton_hand , creepy , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ars_anima
« on: January 08, 2013 09:39:27 AM »

Hey there crafty folks!

I recently finished making & mounting a hand of glory reproduction.

A hand of glory, for those not versed much in old creepy talismans or the potter verse (Draco Malfoy uses one to escape the room of requirements!), is the mummified hand of a criminal who died at the gallows.

This was used mostly by thiefs because when the fingers, or a candle made from the fat of the dead man placed in the palm, were lit, the inhabitants of a building would fall into a deep sleep, that only blowing out the flames (only milk or blood used to work, according to some) could arouse them (from their sleep. Not something else. silly.)

I made mine using traditional corpsing techniques, by applying liquid latex and toilet paper on a skeleton hand armature, which I made using crappy, cheap markers, hot glue & string.

Those are the fingers before beefing up the knuckles

Knuckles beefed up!

Now with a newspaper & tape forearm

And here's the beef!

Plastic nails were added

And now a bit of paint...

And here's your hand!

It's looking so much better enshrined in a shadow box.

It took just a few hours to make,  the hand cost tops 5$ in materials, and you can make it cheaper using glue instead of latex, the most expensive part was the shadow box which I got unfinished at a local craft store for 8.99$.

If you liked it, I've got a much more in depth, step-by-step, picture heavy tutorial on my blog, in two parts. Feel free to take a look over there!

Part One: http://darkartifacts.blogspot.ca/2013/01/the-hand-of-glory-part-one.html

Part Two: http://darkartifacts.blogspot.ca/2013/01/the-hand-of-glory-part-2.html

I hope you enjoyed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things creepy & crafty, take a look at My Blog!
WingsOfClay
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I Love Craftster Swaps!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013 09:49:44 AM »

just hit "this rocks"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make it, thrift it, mend it, or make-do without it!
corchen
Long-time lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013 11:05:09 AM »

This is seriously rockin'! There are so many things you could do with this as well - I would be very tempted to make one curled around the stump of a candle, with wax dripping down around the fingers... What was this one made for? Just decorative, as a prop, or part of a larger project?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Absolutely up for personal swaps, especially ATCs, PM me if you're interested.

Beginning wister: corchen
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013 11:26:12 AM »

Brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013 11:28:57 AM »

That absolutely rocks!  (Bam...hit the button...bam...repo rted that your post was AWESOME.)

I love the tutorial.  And I'm not into hands of death or anything, but I seriously want to make myself one of these now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ars_anima
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013 12:11:17 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Corchen: One grabbing a candle is a great idea, it would look creepy as hell. I might be tempted to try that later on.

As for the purpose, it's only decorative. I'm making gaffs such as this hand or my shrunken heads ( http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=411928.msg4866206#msg4866206 ) mostly for fun, and try to sell 'em afterwards.

WideEyedLife: Please do! the process is really fun, and even if you're not into macabre decor, it makes a great halloween decoration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mcbeth
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013 12:51:15 PM »

wow nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corchen
Long-time lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013 03:59:19 PM »

I love the head - you have some 'mad skillz' with the macabre. I see you play with latex moulding as well (should have realised when you had latex lying around) - how about a hand of glory candle? Sculpt your master with the fingers pointing upright, take a mould, and cast in wax... It might be a bit fiddly getting five wicks to hold in place, but I'll bet the end result would be worth it. Those might even sell well too.

Oh! Also, if you're not familiar already, check out this website - http://propnomicon.blogspot.co.uk/ I think it might be up your alley. The guy makes some truly amazing props.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ars_anima
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013 02:45:50 AM »

Haha thanks! I'm already a big fan of propnomicon, it's actually the blog which inspired this hand, if you ever take the time to read the full tutorial! I've already been featured on there once, too. Great guy, and great blog. Thanks for sharing it, though!

I've never tried candle casting, I should try it, though. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the suggestion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corchen
Long-time lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013 03:15:03 AM »

*facepalm* d'oh... Oh well, better to tell someone about something awesome they already know about, than not tell them! I tend to binge on propnomicon every few months or so - I love the dusty, slightly otherworldly aesthetic.

I hope you do try out a hand of glory candle - I shall keep an eye out for one  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Set Production Assistant Job Guide
How to Get a Production Assistant Job
What the Art Department on a Film Set Does
What the Locations Manager Does On Set
Camera Grip Gear - C-Stands Review
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...