A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Homemade Body Lotion  (Read 2088 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , body_lotion  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queen lila
royalty crafts

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2013 01:15:52 AM »

Well it was only a matter of time until I got into making my own cosmetics Smiley
So I started with body lotion with this recipe from ReadyMade and the resuls were kind of weird.

It turned out more like a body butter than lotion, probably because the beeswax was too much.Tried it out again this time with half the beeswax and the results were pretty good!
The lotion/cream melts into the skin and is perfect for the winter when skin (especially mine) needs a lot of extra moisture.

And with only natural and few ingredients it's good for you AND easy to make!

this yields a big batch, about 3 300gr  jars so it's perfect if you're making for yourself and your friends and family!

Here's my recipe for Homemade Body Lotion

2 cups sage and lavender tea

3/4 cup olive oil

3/4 cup almond oil

2 1/2 Tbsp beeswax pellets

optional: essential oil for fragrance

Make your tea and set aside to steep

While your tea is steeping mix the oils and beeswax in a pyrex cup or a double boiler if you have it, I just used a small coffee pot. Boil a little water in a pan just enough so that your pot is halfway immersed into it. When the water boils place your pot in the pan and wait for the beeswax to melt.

When the wax melts take your pot out of the water and set aside to cool a bit. Now take your tea and strain it into a blender. (You could skip the blender and use a bowl and whisk but it would take you a while. )

Start your blender and slowly start pouring in the oil through the top opening of the lid, you'll see the magic start happening and your cream forming!

Add any essential oils if you like (I used jasmine and grapefruit) and pour into clean jars. Cover with paper towels until the cream cools down then you're ready to stick some labels on and gift or use your homemade cream!

This will keep for 3 months or 6 months in the fridge.

Did you make this? I'd love to hear your feedback!

Queen Lila
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013 01:17:06 AM by queen lila » THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013 09:51:35 PM »

They look great! Maybe I can work up the nerve to try making one this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
handmadewithlove
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013 10:35:30 PM »

Thank you for this tutorial! I am thinking this and a homemade spa wrap would be a cute gift idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queen lila
royalty crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013 01:45:50 AM »

It's really easy to make, the cleanup is harder than the actual making of the lotion, but don't let that discourage you!
I'm actually working on making a video tutorial soon along with some new improved recipes and tips.
Check out the DIY lip balm tutorial I posted today
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418828.0
they make a great pair when gifting to a friend! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013 11:56:03 AM »

Looks great and the ingredients sound nice! Since there isn't another emulsifier in there, I would be curious to know if it eventually separates since you played around with the amount of beeswax, or if you found the perfect amount to hold the emulsion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
queen lila
royalty crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013 01:18:25 PM »

Well to be completely honest, it does separate a bit but only when you scoop out the amount you need with your finger. I never saw it as a problem since the separation is always minimal and once you massage it in it binds together again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013 01:41:55 PM »

Nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
CarlieJoe
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014 04:09:54 AM »

I love your recipe and did it twice already! Here are the results:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430705.0#axzz2pzijvd4m
Thank you for the great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krissy.me
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014 09:21:29 AM »

The emulsifier would be a big deal breaker to me.  Beeswax not really the right product for the application.  Emulsifying wax would be much better and then you wouldn't have issues with separation.

But the bigger deal breaker for me would be the lack of a cosmetic preservative.  Liquid germall plus is my preferred preservative and going by a friend of mine who had her lotion challenge tested it was recommended she bump the rate up to 1% which I do use with my goats milk lotions.   But keep in mind the goats milk is left to safe levels the preservative can handle.  Yes you can't just use all goats milk in a lotion and be safe.

But the tea would be the bigger deal breaker for me as tea is known for going moldy and I have not known anyone who has successfully used even small amounts of tea in a lotion with a preservative and not had is contain mold/bacteria when challenge tested by a lab.  This is a serious safety issue for many because the mold/bacteria can be present without being seen by the naked eye.  So saying it's good for 3-6 months if left in the fridge would be a safety concern for me.  If you had a nick (open wound) on your skin such as from shaving or even a paper cut it could cause an infection.   I do know of one person who required medical attention from a doctor because of using unsafe lotion on her legs when she had a nick from shaving.  It created a big infection that was a pain to deal with and she could easily pin point just how it got infected so badly.    And using this much tea in a product would seem very unsafe to me. 

I don't just have a business that sells handmade (made from scratch) products but I also have a forum and teach this as well and have been active on many forums in the past where this would have been given a red flag of caution to the users.

If you wanted to make this up I would make up much smaller amounts and keep it no longer than a week in the fridge.  Would you make up brewed tea and drink it 6-9 months later even if it was kept in the fridge.  No chances are better than not it would be moldy long before that time and would be thrown out.   The same applies here, but so many times the mold/bacteria can't be seen by the naked eye but it's present if it was challenge tested and it wouldn't be something you would want to use.  Sadly there are a lot of bad/unsafe recipes on the net that people are posting and passing on not realizing the reason why they are unsafe or bad recipes.

I would highly suggest investing in a preservative and know how to use it.  It's not expensive, used in small amounts, but it can mean the difference between a safe product and an unsafe one.  Especially if this is given away to friends and family or is sold.   If it's sold buyers could sue you which is why insurance for your soap business is so critical to have.

I would also suggest buying a digital scale and learning how to convert recipes from percents to weights. 
WSP has a free calculator to use to do just this.   This way you can make a small batch to start with and try out, and if you like it you can make a much bigger batch.
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Calculators/Batch_Size_Calculator.aspx

The recipe above contains a lot of oils and IMHO it's going to be pretty greasy feeling.....
I might suggest something like this.....
74% Distilled Water
7% Oil/Butter of Choice
8% Oil/Butter of Choice
5% Emulsifying Wax
1% Liquid Germall Plus
5% Essential Oil of Choice/Blend or Fragrance Oil

For a 4 oz (115 grams) jar you would use the following:
85 grams Water
8 grams Oil/Butter of Choice
9 grams Oil/Butter of Choice
6 grams Emulsifying Wax
1.2 grams Liquid Germall Plus *
6 grams Essential Oil of Choice/Blend or Fragrance Oil

* For preservatives I like to use a syringe and use cc instead.  I hold it with my thumb over the bottom and fill through the top, then add the plunger and put into my product.   I buy my syringes where vet supplies are sold (tractor supply) where they are used for horse, dogs/cats or cattle.  They are sterile and cheap.  This way I know the entire amount is going into the product and not left in the container i was weighing it in.

I also prefer to weigh in grams than ounces since it's more accurate. There are 28 grams to the single ounce.  So even if your +/- a gram or two your still right on target for the amount needed in your recipe.

If you wanted to use something other than water I would suggest aloe vera juice be used in it's place.  And yes even if you use aloe juice you still need a preservative.  But you can buy bottles of aloe juice in the pharmacy area of some stores where the laxatives are sold.  I buy mine in walmart in a gallon jug, but they also sell smaller bottles.  I would not make this DIY if you are using it in a lotion because of safety reasons.  If you want to make your own I would suggest using it in soaps instead. 

If you wanted to use a milk, dairy or non-dairy I would suggest using keeping that percent to 10% and taking it off the water percent.  Then using a preservative that is to be used in lotions with the oil content of your product.  Liquid germall plus is popular because you can use a high or low oil percent and it works, but it's also paraben free for those who have issues with that.   I say this because Germaben II and Germaben II E are subject to safe practice depending on the amount of oil used in your product.

The rule of thumb is if it contains water (or other liquids) or water will be introduced such as a scrub a preservative is required.  However scrubs require a preservative that will work in that application.  Liquid germall plus won't work in scrubs so if you are also going to make scrubs you will need multiple preservatives.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Colors for Redheads
Julien Macdonald - London - Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
How To Get The DKNY Runway Look For Less
Ways To Wear Boxy Tops
DIY Gladiator Sandals: VIBE Vixen Style Profile
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...