A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: EPIC Yarn Dwarf Beards!  (Read 14338 times)
Tags for this thread: beard , featured_project , category_featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 07, 2013 03:51:58 PM »

Somehow I stumbled across a picture of girl in here very own dwarf helm and beard.  The helm was crocheted and the beard was yarn.  It was AWESOME and sent my brain a-reeling!  Though crochet is currently oh of realm of crafting abilities, I settled on making a beard.  My BIL's birthday was coming up fast, so it was the perfect time to whip one up for him just for fun.  I bet he never expected to get a dwarf yarn beard from me, but that's what he got!  In my research phases, I found a totally amazing and wonderful tutorial on how to make a beard like this, and that can be found here:  http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Grow-Your-Own-Epic-Dwarf-Beard-In-One-Eveni/

This girl has changed my life!  I see my future bright and full of beards!  Not that I'm not surrounded by them in my everyday life from my husband and other BIL, but these are much more EPIC!

Here he is modeling his new beard!  It was so super fun and easy to make!  And the beard is so so soft!!!  My BIL wore his all night long and even drank his soda out of a straw so he could continue wearing it. 

Here it is all laid out.  Sorry for the super crappy picture.  I took it with my phone and was to much of a dummy to remember to take a better picture later.  Oh well.

My other BIL was super jealous and sadly looked at me in his best pouty face said "Jill, I want a yarn beard."  How can I resist that?  I absolutely love when I get crafty requests!  It gets me pumped and excited.  So, I went out and got new yarn and sat down and made him one, too.

His is a salt 'n pepper one.  ^_^  Still super soft.  He liked it because he thought it looked wiser.

Here it is all layed out.  Though its hard to see, there is a blue bead attached to the gray band in the middle of the beard.  That was my hubby's idea.  ^_^

And here's what the back looks like.  If you didn't take at look at the tutorial, you basically start by cutting up all your yarn the length that you want.  You then cut the plastic canvas to the size you want and attach your yarn to it, starting at the bottom, with small crochet hook.  Trust me, she has amazing instructions on there that are way indept and better than these, so you should go take a look. 

Now I need to make one for me!  I want one that has reds and browns.  ^_^  Though I definitely have enough yarn to make another brown beard and another black beard. 

Thanks for looking!  Beard on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013 03:55:48 PM »

jillybeans, these are AWESOME and EPIC!!  loooooove 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eiseldora
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013 04:19:47 PM »

That is really cool. I"ve knit two of the Lumberman beards, and I like your solution to the more complex ones.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayceejoy
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013 04:31:40 PM »

Hey, there's my hubby, old Blackbeard himself. You should've seen Livi's face when he came in the door wearing it! Jilly, you're the best SIL ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013 04:43:48 PM »

Hey, there's my hubby, old Blackbeard himself. You should've seen Livi's face when he came in the door wearing it! Jilly, you're the best SIL ever!

LOL!  I bet that was awesome!  Livi has the best reactions EVAR! 

That is really cool. I"ve knit two of the Lumberman beards, and I like your solution to the more complex ones.

Thanks Eiseldora.  I saw you working on those during the STS, I think.  ^_^  Those kind of beards definitely rock!

Thanks bunny!  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013 05:29:51 PM »

Love the beards. I'm definitely going to have to make one (or 2 or 3) sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013 06:20:34 PM »

This is awesome! I'll probably make one of these in the future! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013 06:31:27 PM »

SOOO cool! I might make a couple for my nephew and/or brother for the Bristol Renaissance Faire this summer. The tut seems a little obscure to me, though. Does it actually take crocheting skills at all? And I'm also having a little trouble figuring out how to insert the yarn. . . . I get the cow hitch ones along the bottom but I can't really get a handle on the middle ones.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013 06:37:28 PM by leather and lace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
SunnyDawn

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013 05:54:31 AM »

That is great fun.  I work with children and their families and one of my families had mustaches for all of their kids for new year's eve and they wore them all night, I will have to share this with her because chances are next year they will all have a beard!  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dawn Milburn
St. Louis, MO
sunnydawne@gmail.com
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013 06:37:40 AM »

SOOO cool! I might make a couple for my nephew and/or brother for the Bristol Renaissance Faire this summer. The tut seems a little obscure to me, though. Does it actually take crocheting skills at all? And I'm also having a little trouble figuring out how to insert the yarn. . . . I get the cow hitch ones along the bottom but I can't really get a handle on the middle ones.

Nope, no crochet skills needed.  For the middle, its almost the same as the ends.  You will pull the yarn through with the hook, and then on the other side you will pull the yarn through an adjoining hole again and then you will have a loop on the side that you started in which you can pull your yarn through.  Hope that helps, leather! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pull Off an Avant-Garde Red Carpet Look
How to Wear a Formal Dolce & Gabbana Evening Coat to Brunch
Teen Prom Makeover Trailer
Here Are The 8 Hottest Bikinis For The Summer Season
A Look Back: Kentucky Derby Celebrity Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...