A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie: Doll/fairy house and 18 inch doll  (Read 1414 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dustyfro
« on: January 07, 2013 01:00:05 AM »

I'm 28, have no children, and just want to play with dolls and dollhouses.  I've got a really great recycled craft store in town, and it would be a wealth of materials to make a recrafted dollhouse or fairy house.  I like the little ones like this http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=260846.0 and this http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=407995.0
So...where do I start?  I can try to copy one of these, but where can I see a whole bunch of them and form my own idea of how I want mine to look.  And what do I make the exterior base out of?

Second, I've got this American Girl doll that has only ever worn the outfit she came in.  The end of the Civil War might have been a big day for you, Addy, but this is the 21st Century, and you need some new clothes.  Are they easy to sew on a machine, or am I looking at a lot of handstitching?  I also knit...are there some really good sites that have knitting patterns for 18 inch dolls?  I've been kind of unimpressed with the ones on ravelry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
FreakieGeekie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013 02:00:42 PM »

You can buy patterns for 18in doll clothes. Keep an eye out at your nearest Hancock Fabrics. They often put patterns on sale 10/$10 or $1.99. That's how I got the ones I bought. Sadly, I've yet to use them as I've lost them but they'll turn up when I get around to cleaning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluttermuffin
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013 02:00:56 AM »

I'm 45... my 6 kids are all grown up and I have 7 grandbabies.... and I STILL love to play with dolls.  If you have Pinterest,  you can find hundreds of ideas for your Addy... quite a few are free patterns.

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mercy143
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013 02:56:45 PM »

I have a Tolly Tot (knock off AG) and three BFC Ink dolls, which may some day go to my 2 granddaughters. To make clothes for them I use full size patterns that I find at thrift stores for 25 or 47 cents.  Most of the patterns I see on line just don't interest me. I'm currently working on learning to make shoes that look as real as the ones we wear.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h101/MercyCrazyhorse/2012-12-30200330.jpg
Here are a couple of outfits from patterns I want to sew for myself. Sorry it's a bad photo.  I have others I need to upload.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013 08:23:13 PM »

To answer your first question. Check out the Wee House Craft-along. It has resource links and a lot of ideas for mini houses. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=389492.0#axzz2RRS2x0Rs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
junebug6162
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013 07:31:39 AM »

Here are some links to some free knitting patterns for 18 inch dolls.

http://voices.yahoo.com/20-free-knitting-patterns-doll-clothes-american-4733172.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
griffingrl
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013 12:09:24 PM »

You might try your local library it is possible to find a number of pattern books for 18'' girl dolls there. Amazon.com also has a
fair number of books to choose from also links to outside sellers. You might try Google for knitting patterns, just have an idea about what it is that you want. I hope this helps you in your search.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnoyingBigSister

EEVEE FOREVER!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013 07:10:52 PM »

First off I applaud you.  I waited until I had kids to dive head first back into dolls.  Until then they sat on my shelf, unseeing eyes asking me why WHY they had to stay in the same clothes I had sewn for them when I was 12.  Now I have three daughters and a son and we A L L play with dollhouses/dolls/legos/everything/etc.  Now on to AG dolls.  There is T O N S of free stuff online.  Seriously.  TONS.  In my mind I am the reason Hancock has a 10 pattern limit.  They used to not, right after DD #1 got her 18" Disney store AG lookalike.  I bought one of e v e r y single pattern they had.  Which was pretty stupid because if you take the time to LOOK at the patterns, 80% of them use the same pieces.  They are REALLY easy dolls to sew for.  You *can* use a sewing machine.  It's not to hard.  Even the hand sewing is quick.  There are TONS of book for sewing for AG dolls.  Lots of knitting and crochet patterns on the web.  Ravelry.  Smiley  You are going to have too. much. fun.  Smiley 

Has there been an AG doll outfit swap???  That'd be fun. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013 07:34:11 PM »

Opps.  I didnt realize DD #1 had logged me out and herself in.  eek.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Isolate Colors in Photoshop
How to Change the Color Of a Car in Photoshop
Adobe Flash Tutorial - How to Make Basic Moving Text
How to Touch Up a Photo in 5 Seconds in Photoshop
How to Use the Glowing Lines Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...