A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery Hoopla Swap Round 9?  (Read 4307 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mezcraft
IIIIIII made it myself!!!

I'm a maker. I make stuff.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 06, 2013 06:28:46 PM »

Hey All... There has been a bit of chatter about starting another round of an Embroidery Hoopla Swap - I believe that would be Round 9? Anyone interested? Any ideas?

Hope some people are interested cause it was such a great round the last time... It would be fun to hoop it up again...

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013 07:10:45 AM by mezcraft » THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013 08:01:26 PM »

I could be easily coaxed to join.... Wink 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
jexxican

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013 10:02:32 PM »

Yay! But no, no ideas. Maybe I'll get some in that magic time before sleep comes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013 11:23:09 PM »

I think there were tons of ideas in the old threads as well that could be worth having a look at just to remind us what they were, but I can't find the thread now because the search is broken (I select only "new swap theme ideas" but it still searches all boards)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
mezcraft

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013 05:41:18 AM »

Be prepared this is a long summary of some sweet ideas from lots of people... from older rounds... please come up with more too!

- The "mix and match an object" idea
  I thought this one was really cool from round 6 ideas (this was ericatattoos's idea)- basically the idea was list five themes and list five objects for instance:
Theme:                              Object/item
Steampunk                       Rabbits
Pinup girls                        Shoes
Tattoos                             Postcards
Day of the Dead              Old Cars
Old -timey                        Keys

You then pick one of the themes and one of the object and mesh them together, like old-timey rabbits, or Day of the Dead Old Cars... It could be a really funny whimsical round, or just plain interesting depending on what things you list and what your partner mixes together.

- Embellishment theme - So this one works in a lot of ways, from reading different threads it could be embellishing preexisting fabric, or perhaps trying Stumping or 3D, or perhaps embellishing with beads, buttons that kind of thing

- Music and movies idea
I really like the idea of this one too - Listing a bunch of movies and music that you like and then seeing what people come up with from that.. I think it would be cool merely because it allows a lot more freedom in design, and there is a really large surprise element to this idea because everybody takes different things from different movies and music...

- Learn a new stitch idea or "Sampler style"
This idea appeals to me because doing exactly this is how I conquered the french knot... "Sampler style" would be trying a whole bunch of different stitches like at least 5 different stitches in each hoopla?

- Doodle Hoop idea
 I love those zen doodles I think it would be neat to incorporate those on hoops there have been some beautiful ones in other rounds

- Animal/mineral/vegetable list idea
I can't find this one to summarize it... woops!

- Century/Decade hoop idea
This one is kind of self exlanatory I think - either stitch in the style of a decade, or images from that decade ( like 1930's or the 50s?)

- Favourite Holiday idea- I believe this is stitching for Valentines, St paddys, Christmas, Easter, 4th (or 1st if you are from Canada!) of July that kind of thing...

-World embroidery - embrace the style of other embroidery around the world? China, Portugal, Central America?

Allrighty, what do you think? Any other ideas? Cause these are just the tip of the iceburg!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013 06:27:10 AM »

Oh I like the mix and match theme!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013 06:33:43 AM »

I really like the mix and match too, or the sampler... but that's partially because sampler seems easy and i'm very tired Cheesy

I don't think I understand how the madlibs would work in practice. I understand the concept of actual madlibs, but not quite how to implement it in a "questionnaire" so to speak.

A vague suggestion would be "favorite crafts" theme. Say that someone's favorite craft is scrapbooking, you could embroider scissors, gluesticks, photoalbums etc... Sowing could be embroideries of threads and needles. It would make for stuff like this type of embroidery
http://pinterest.com/pin/119486196333166182/
that sorts of salutes our interests.

...but I'm not sure I prefer my own idea over the mix and match idea, I'm very fond of that one Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
mezcraft

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013 07:31:58 AM »

I have since deleted my madlibs ramblings... it was literally a half sleep idea!

Melladh -I like the idea of a "salute to our interests".  In my head I can just see embroidered flags waving in the air with sewing machines in the centre of the flag..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pugwash

oh, hello there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013 08:00:35 AM »

I've been waiting for a new round to start! I love the sampler idea, it was actually what I did for my hoop in the very first swap and was a lot of fun. I think I picked 6 different stitches to work with and was pleased with how it turned out. I was going to suggest favorite movies or tv shows, but I see it's already listed lol. Other ideas are:

Birds
Favorite places(states, countries, cities, monuments)
Windows - Looking out, or looking in on a little scene
3D - expanding on the idea of new stitches or stumpwork, or in some other fashion creating a hoop that doesn't just lie flat on the wall
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013 12:02:04 PM »

So far I'm liking the Era idea, the Sampler idea, and the Embellishments idea. Embellishments like "Don't just use thread" hoops. I think I like that one the best so far.

If we did a music/movies theme I would sit it out. I don't like too much licensed stuff on my walls. I have some Mario up there now but I think that's about it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013 12:02:56 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Taking a Pop at the Economy
Learn Why Linda Yellin Wrote About Nora Ephron
HuffPost Staffers Share Their Favorite Books
David Menasche Supports Voices Against Brain Cancer
Daisy Lewellyn on Shopping with an Editor’s Eye
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...