A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 303,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My crayon art and a question  (Read 1275 times)
Tags for this thread: melted_crayon_art  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 07, 2012 02:00:57 PM »

I made this heart cus I wanted to try making melted crayon art. Well last week I got my self a mini-high heat glue gun. I found some old crayons. I used crayola and roseart and some old cheap crayons. Well I was almost done and then I heard a pop and I saw ether a spark or a very little flame from me tripping a circuit breaker. Tongue So I was wondering if I need to not leave it running too long when I have crayon in it or if I need to make sure that the area where the heat area in the glue gun is more clear to keep it coolish. Huh

The rogue Queen

Where is my mind?? Probably listening to hip hop :

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013 04:57:44 AM »

Ohhhhh I am not sure.

I used to use heat guns for vinyl aplications at work and they never sparked.

I though everyone just taped the crayons then used a hair dryer/ heat applicator gun (hair dryer on steriods basically) to get the effect.

I am sorry I could not be of more help, at least I bumped it up to the top of the forum again though.

I am currently inactive, due to being hit by a car. I will be back on once I am healed

Remember that life is beautiful!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013 05:35:10 PM »

Have you used the plug since?  I have never put a crayon in a hot glue gun but I did have a Iron trip a circuit after being plugged in for 20 mins, and the next time I tried to use the plug it wouldn't work anymore.  According the electrician I hired after it was most likely the plug going bad and was a coincidence. 

This may or may not be the case but it might be worth checking out.  I love the heart by the way its a very unique take on the melted crayon art.

"Creativity is a drug I cannot live without." ~Cecil B. DeMille

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~Robert Brault

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013 05:50:27 PM »

I've never put a crayon in a glue gun myself, but I have read several times on the internet-esp. Craftster-from people who have tried it that the glue gun itself will eventually spark and become overheated.  Not a good idea.

They sell colored glue sticks for the glue guns.  I got a pack of sparkly color ones from the dollar store.

Sounds to me like the glue gun was working too hard, and did something to your outlet.

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl (my personal pinterest)
http://Pinterest.com/LadybuggirlCrafts (my business pinterest-click on banner in right corner)
I'm on instagram:  ladybuggirlcrafts

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013 07:47:42 AM »

Oh ok thanks for the input. Smiley Also thanks wdicwg, I had a lot of fun making it. Well until my glue gun or the outlite tried to kill me of course. Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Artist Portfolio
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter D
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter B
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter F
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter C
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Plumeria Flowers
Ghosts and Graveyards
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...