A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need help organising ephemera!!  (Read 982 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mini_mum
Crafting along nicely :)

my lovely boys

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 06, 2013 01:41:48 PM »

I only really started collecting bits and pieces of stuff last year, although I have been scrap booking for quite a few years, and already have so much I really don't know how to store it so I know where to look for what I want!
With your ephemera do you sort/store by type (magazine cut-outs, die cuts, chip-board, games bits etc), by subject, colour, by . . . . I don't know!!

Please help this bewildered paper crafter to be able to use her resources FAR more easily!!

Thank you Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

endymion
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013 07:57:52 PM »

Oh, man! I wish someone had answered this because I need some serious assistance on that topic also!

Right now, I've got some things of the same type stored together... a box of cards (post cards, trading cards, playing cards, etc), a drawer of stickers, a file folder of magazine pictures, and then a tote bag and a large zippered box that have a fairly disorderly mishmash of lots of things.

This system does not work at all. I can never find just what I'm looking for. Does anyone else have some great wisdom or clever ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kiera
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013 07:26:23 PM »

I have two systems--folders and bins.

Folders are for collage materials I've encountered, whether printed digitally, ripped from a magazine, cut from a calendar, etc. I have these folders sorted as follows:

Text
Technical (Drawings, Blueprints, Diagrams, Graphs, etc.)
Maps
Nature
Animals
People

Coordinating "kit" ephemera is sorted by color after I've used the kit. By kit I mean those found in plastic sleeves in craft stores, usually designed to coordinate with a particular paper line. Since this isn't "real" ephemera from my life, my primary concern is managing my color palette. I've got ROYGBP + Black, White, and Brown bins. In addition to ephemera I also have everything else sorted into these bins. Purple glitter lives right next to purple letter stickers and purple tags in my stacking bins. I do have a separate small parts box from Lowe's that holds metal embellishments sorted by metal, attachers sorted by metal, and flowers/ribbons sorted by color. These live on my desk because I'm reaching for them a lot.

"Real" ephemera--movie tickets, receipts, bits of packaging, etc--it all goes into a single container.

When starting a project, I shop my bins and sort my finds into a project bin. Everything goes--punches I want to use, dies, glitter, ephemera, collage, paints, embellishments, papers, rubber stamps, ink pads, base materials like paper bags and chipboard--everything. When I've finished a project I re-shop remainders into the proper containers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013 05:50:04 AM »

Kiera, I love it, you sound so organised! I wish I could be half as organised! I just have various sets of Ikea drawers for papers, and a very overflowing basket...and a box...or two... Occasionally I have a root through and try to organise, but it never stays that way for long. I usually get distracted by what I find Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MADsLucky13
Michele (aka MAD)

"Create or Die"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013 02:06:08 PM »

Hi Guys!

I swear by my GENERATIONS organizer (which is also TOTALLY portable!)

It's almost like a large, soft-sided briefcase and when you open it up on one side, there are plastic file folders which is where I store my 10 X 10 & 12 X 12 cardstock, wrapping paper and larger paper items.  

Since there are many folders, I store my cut scrap, cards, die-cut letters and vintage seals towards the front, each in zip lock baggies according to holiday.  (My work is holiday inspired.)  Any other misc paper items go into their own combined folder.

On the opposite side of the organizer, is two mesh zip compartments for trim, beads, ribbons, etc.  Really anything small that is 3-D.

It comes with a carrying handle, wide shoulder strap and zips up for protection.

I purchased it some years back on eBay for $9.95.  Not sure if the company is still in biz but it's worth a look.

Hope that helped!   Wink  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013 05:21:17 AM by MADsLucky13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Aim high and you won't shoot your foot off."
-Phyllis Diller
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013 08:17:22 AM »

For many of my supplies, I use a Clip It Up, which is a spinning carousel with clips on it. The link is for the base unit, but I also have the Upper Tier, which clips to the base and offers more storage. I put my ephemera into ziploc bags, and hang them. So there's a bag of vintage postage stamps, fortunes from fortune cookies, alphabet stickers, Dresden trim...anything that can hang. It helps me to be able to see all that stuff and have it at arm's length away. I really love that thing.

I keep large collections in all sorts of different containers: kid's cardboard suitcases (so cute!), baskets, buckets, interesting boxes of all kinds, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013 09:14:42 AM »

Paper will just take over your life if you let it, so my number one tip is to only keep bits of ephemera that you ABSOLUTELY love!  Seriously, if you aren't going to use those little bits of scrapbook paper or what have you within a few weeks, better to recycle them.  Other than that I keep random small and large boxes and a desk top file holder (one of those wire ones that keep the files upright) and clean them out monthly of stuff I don't use-one must be ruthless....I keep the very best few bits of ephemera on my big bulletin board beside my desk.  I have a couple of small collections that do not get edited-postage stamps sorted by colour into ziplocks and page numbers (I obsessively cut all the page numbers out of every book page I use Roll Eyes) whose zip lock containers all live together in a small box.

racky's Clip it up carousel is pretty awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
MariAdkins
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013 09:04:17 AM »

I'm awful. I shove mine into pencil boxes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Apple Fries
How to make Beef Stroganoff
Shrimp Dip
Lemon Meringue Pie on fixmyrecipe.com
Tangy, Zesty, & Spicy Grilled Shrimp on fixmyrecipe.com
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...